Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Sorry Team 4!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Sorry Team 4!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys, I tagged out today.............. but not with my bow. Here is the story,

I have been hunting this rifle season with my bow and havn't had any luck. Well, this morning I went out and nothing, so I came back mid-day to check my game camera. Well, I went to my food plot behind my house and while checking the camera, I jumped up a big buck, but he started limping off (I should have taken my bow but I didn't take any weapon). Knowing that he was hurt badly, I wanted to put him out of his misery! I ran up to my house, put my orange on and grabbed my rifle. I headed down and after a little while I saw him bedded behind a fallen tree! I pulled up and put the cross-hairs right where his neck/head connected and as soon as I squeezed, he pulled his head back and tried standing up, so my shot hit him right in the eye! Not where I wanted to shoot him, but it put him down. Well, I went up to him and found that he had severly hurt both his front legs. His front left leg was missing half the hoof. His front right leg was entirely broke and bone was sticking through the skin. I am not sure what happened to him, but I am pretty sure he wouldn't have made it through the winter! I would have rather shot him with my bow, but I wanted a better chance at this buck!

He is a 20" wide 8 pointer. I will get pics up for you guys later, but I am gonna have to black out the one eye as it is pretty nasty looking!

So guys, I am sorry I couldn't help with the team score (we only get one buck here in PA), but I think putting him out of his misery out-weighs a contest!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sorry Team 4!!!!!!!!!

The bottom line is, you did the right thing because it was the right thing to do!. We salute you. Good job!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Thanks Antler,

Here is his pic. Like I said, I had to block his eye out, but you get the picture. He was 20" wide, but he didn't have great tine length or mass! He is going on the wall though, and I'll tell you what, I got about the same feeling from shooting him with my rifle as I do with deer with my bow. I would rather get him with a bow, but I am happy!

Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Jason, you can be proud to end his suffering, he is a great buck.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bm, you did the right thing. Don't worry about the contest. Congrats on the kill.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

If there was an award for ethics, you'd win. Actually there is an award for ethics, it's called integrity.

Be as proud of yourself as we are of you.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't knock you for that Jason. Congrats on a nice deer, but you better atleast go get another doe with that booowwwtt....ah heck I can't even say it.

But I was hoping you would put up some sort of score, you know...to make up for my low numbers!!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Hey IL,

I can put up a score...... 100 0/8" gross with a net of 97 3/8"..... its just that they don't count for the contest This was the most symetrical rack I have ever scored (except for the broken G-3 which comprised 1 7/8" of the deductions).

I can't shoot any more deer. I only got one doe tag this year and we only get one buck tag. The BowTech let a big ol doe have it, and then my rifle let him have it. I will have to wait till next year
Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the best story i have heard all season in this contest with out a doubt! If it were up to me i would say enter him in the contest. But rules are rules and its not up to me to make such decision`s. No matter which team wins or lose`s the contest this story stands out above them all. With what you did we all won! Thank you for making this yr a success!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not only do I salute you for doing the right thing as far as the animal is concerned, I also salute you for not trying to pass off a rifle kill as a bow kill.

Nice buck, Buckmagnet...congrats.

Quick Reply: Sorry Team 4!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.