Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Lucky 13"   (13) Thread >

Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 PM

Default RE: Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Sure is quiet on the archery board lately...
Due to a death in my family (and Christmas) I did not get to archery hunt this week. I am hoping to go out next week. We can hunt here until Jan. 15th. I did go out with my brother on Wed. & Thu. to hunt for doe with a rifle. Wed. I didn't see a single deer and then Thu. I scored a small doe. I made sure to thank my Dad for the Redfield scope he got me for Christmas - I got a perfect heart shot. Then I had to drag the darned deer for a half a mile!
At this place we hunted there is a very thick section that hunters can't even walk thru. The deer are always in this area as we hear them run around as we walk the trail around it. I was thinking about taking the bow and finding the best trail and trying to sneak in there. I know there has to be a nice buck in there. Yesterday when we went back out something was crashing thru there straight towards me and then made a dead stop. It sounded like an elephant. As long as it isn't too cold I will take the bow and crawl in there one day. Otherwise, I will take the bow out on certain mornings and evenings here at home.
I hope all of you had a nice holiday and that you have a Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the death in your family. Congrats on you Doe!!! PAJEN.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jen - Sorry to hear about the death in your family. At Christmas time too.[&o] Good luck if you get out after that big buck and congrats on the doe.

Kard I heard about all the snow. Sure hope some of it has melted by now. Deep snow sure is hard on a deer heard.

As for me I got out hunting. I didn't get anything or even see a deer but at least I got out. Guess I was unable to help out the team.[] Good luck to all of you that are still hunting.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 PM

Jen, I hope everything is going better for you now.

The snow here is already gone. Even the big piles at the stores. I has been getting up to over 60 the last 4-5 days.

I've been feeding the deer in my back yard and today was somthing else. I got home from work and filled up the bird feeder. I came in side to put my lunch box away just for a minute. I went back out and there was a yearling eating. It ran away when my nephew came out and yelled at it. all 3 came in about 4 minutes later. I was standing/walking 20 yards away. The season ended yesterday. I wouldn't have taken them b/c baiting is a nono in Indiana. it still is pretty cool looking at deer at eye level, being a stand hunter in all.

Wi good luck to you and the rest of the team.

kk
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys....

I finally went out with the bow today. It was warm for here this time of year (about 50) but that's alright for me. It finally wasn't raining - but not for long - two more days of rain after today.
I seen two deer. I'm pretty sure one was a doe but all I saw was a big body on the other. I guess it's good that something legal didn't come along as I forgot my release. This was the first time I have ever forgotten it. I'm confident enough to shoot without it but you just never know. I also saw two fresh scrapes at the edge of the field - kinda odd to see them this time of the year.

WI - I'm glad you got out to hunt even if it wasn't productive...

After the 15th I will put out new salt licks and maybe some deer will come into the yard like last winter.
I did get my last roll of Stealth cam pics back just before Christmas. There were a few doe and one nice 8 point that showed up on Nov. 1. I took the camera down when the rifle season started - didn't want it to disappear with all the other hunters in the woods. If I get a chance to scan the pic I will post it. I will put the camera up again soon...

Something to laugh about.... My brother helped me to clean my doe. This doe had the biggest fullest stomach you could imagine. Plus, it must have been in the process of defecating when I shot it. We could not get the last of the intestines out at the end and crap was going everywhere. [:'(] Neither of us ever had that much trouble. It was disgusting but it was funny. My poor brother had it all over his hands and there was no way to clean it off except to wipe it on a t-shirt. This deer will forever be known as the shi!!y deer!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i got back out for the first time since my shoulder surgery and low and behold saw the big one but alas he stayed to far out . came in with about twenty does and fawns and one small eight point i got 9 more days so i will be there for the duration
Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jen that is funny about the doe. I hope you are able to get out once the rain quits.

Bob glad to hear you are back in the woods too. I hope your shoulder has healed as well as my ankle. It sure is no fun being laid up during the hunting season.[:@] Good luck getting that big boy in close.

Hey DC have you come up with anything yet? I know this is your favorite time of year so good luck to you.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 AM
etw

PA.Jen sorry to hear about the death in the family.
Its Jan 5 as I write this. Our season here in TX ends 1st Sun in Jan. always. Well No Bow bucks for me. Did kill my first Bobcat, with my rifle. The Cat had me "made" but was not sure. I watched it watching me thru its golden yellow eyes at about 15 yards, its bobtail twitching. A great deer hunting year. Two of my grandsons killed their first deer, both were dandy bucks. One buck a 10 pointer killed by 12 yr old Patrick. The second a big 8 point killed by 10 year old Ben. Ben has hunted with me before but this was the first time he had the gun.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:28 AM

I'm still trying wihunter!!! Deer sighting have definitely picked up, but still slow. The weather has been horrible lately. 70 degres for the past week and calling for 70's for another 10 days.[:@] But, the bucks are ruttting hard and I plan to go all day tomorrow and then again on Saturday. After that I will probably hit the woods a few more times on the weekends and then it will be over!![:'(]

To be honest I'm ready to chalk this season up to learning new land and start over fresh for next season.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang etw a 10 pointer and a big 8 for the kids. My biggest ever is an 8 that really is not that big. Congrats to the both of them. Sorry to hear that you didn't get one but I know it is even more special to have the kids get them. Kind of hooks them for life doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Official Team "Lucky 13" (13) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.