Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread >

Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Well guys I have been hunting pretty hard, saw a small 6 point. Game warden friend told me that one of the 5 bucks I am hunting got crushed by a car it was a decent 8 point. there is still two more of them and two bucks that are bigger. haven't seen em yet from the stand. I did have 2 button bucks and 3 does under my stand for an hour. I decided not to shoot thinking that any time one of those grown up would come in. I had taken the strap that holds my climbing seat to the platform when I carry it in and layed it at the base of my tree. one of the does came in an started pushing the strap around with her nose almost as if she was smelling it and playing with it at the same time. Then they started running around playing with each other. the button bucks even head butted a couple of times, Well the bucks didn't show up but it really didn't matter, I enjoyed that night in the stand. They never knew I was there and never looked up, not used to stands yet I guess. Just made me appreciate what we have here. I was told that my fist deer was a freak and that he wouldn't be anything but a button buck. I wish everyone a prosperous and safe season. Pat
Old 10-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great evenly Ely. I know you'll get the chance at a nice buck this season, and I can't wait to see the pic's and read the story.

My season opens in just 2 days. I am going nut's waiting on opening day.....
Old 10-17-2004, 12:26 AM

Just an FYI for you guys; I will be hunting every weekend for the next 6 weeks with about 6 vacation days thrown in there. Only had 1 weekend so far.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

How far do you drag a scent pad for a scent trail?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Wear

I generally won't go more then 200 yards with a drag line. Refreshen it halfways to my stand then refreshen it again where I place it close to my stand. My area is different then probably most of your's though. Open country here compared to tree areas for most of you I imagine. Generally when I set up for a hunt... most of the deer are coming from one direction heading to the feeding areas. Funnels are not so defined in my area and the deer tend to wander all over then use a trail. The principal of the drag line is the same as for anyone else and I am trying to get the bucks to come to my area. I just don't need to go very far to do it. What works for me might not be best for you if our areas are different. Hopefully some others will chime in on their experience with tree areas involved.

Everybody

I had a very cold hunt yesterday. Wasn't so cold, just a very raw, wet wind. Did have some excitement though. Started off with a buck sighting 90 yards from my spot, a couple fawns that turned into pests, rooster pheasant landing by me, 4 coon and some does with their fawns early in the afternoon. I had started hunting at noon and made a make shift ground build in some weeds guarding a corner of a slough. Then it died untill 6 PM. The two fawns came back to my shooting lane. I then caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a buck and a pretty nice one from what I could tell through the weeds. He came in from a direction I hadn't plan on. He was 15 yards away and closing. He was feeding along the edge of the pig weeds. I had the shivers from the cold to start with and him coming from the wrong direction didn't help. I had to stand and turn to get a shot. I managed that ok but trying to move in the weeds was a pain. The arrow fall of the rest 3 times when I would bump them. How the buck didn't catch that I don't know, but he didn't. He spent 3 - 4 minutes feeding within 4 yards. Got to size him up real well and passed on him. Was in the 130 - 135 range and a nice 5 pt but needs another year or so. Short on browtines otherwise it might have been a different outcome for him.

Felt a little guilty passing up on him for the team and freezing to death to get to that point but hoping to find one bigger. Don't have to be to work till 9 AM tomorrow so hopefully I can find the one. Oh and if you never hear from me again...where I am going tomorrow has a very big bull moose sweet talking a cow moose as of Saturday. I will be hunting on the ground and got my fingers cross he doesn't cross my path, find me between him and the cow, wind me or worse.... find me with him being in a rejected heartbroken very, very bad mood. LOL It's the same area Tyler got his buck and has quite a few bucks calling it home.

Goodluck to everyone on their hunting!!

Tim
Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

TJF, you don't have to feel guilty........I have a good feeling that you will bag a bigger one, with that kind of dedication it is only a matter of time.

Neat story.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tagged my first deer of this season yesterday(Oct 18). After passing on several small buck's, and young does, I took a mature doe at about 8 yards. With all the rain we have gotten on and off since opening day(Saturday 16), the deer have been on and off about moving. But yesterday was a really wet day, and the weather is supposed to clear up and warm up([:@]), atleast till the weekend.

We worked pretty quick yesterday at getting her cleaned up, before the warm weather. I hope to get out this evening and maybe tag a decent buck. Mostly all I have seen so far have been small 4pt's, and the occasional 6pt. Nothing huge, or really decent.

But goodluck, and that was a awesome story on the bowhunting forum Antler Eater. I hope to share a similar one when I get a shot at a good buck.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

HighCountry_BruteForce,

Hey thanks for the kind words and super congrats on the doe!!! Great job!

It sounds like with your plan you will be hanging your tag on one of those nice bucks pretty soon....all I can say is AWESOME BABY [8D]!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Well everyone, have been seeing some "o.k." bucks, but the rut is just starting to heat up! I again wish everyone the best during the upcoming rut! We need to get some more bucks on the board, Antler Eater might be feeling a little lonely.[:-]
Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could have taken a scrub 4pt out of my girlfriends yard this morning. [&:]

LOL. But passed at the opportunity.

Quick Reply: Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.