Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Lightweight Fast Shooter >

Lightweight Fast Shooter

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Lightweight Fast Shooter

Old 04-23-2022, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Lightweight Fast Shooter

Hello, here's another one of those annoying what-crossbow-should-I-buy-? threads.

Long-time hunter, new to crossbows. My main motivation is that it is the only type of weapon with which I can hunt fall turkey AND deer - at the same time!

I must say I'm a bit shocked by the prices at the high-end now. Still, I may well buy a TenPoint Vapor RS470 Xero. It sounds phenomenal. Yet, I know from many years' experience carrying firearms that hauling a 10 lb bow all day in the woods is going to be tiring. (I'm not young anymore.)

I can't have my cake and eat it too. I want SOTA performance - velocity - in a lighter bow. Can I get it? Can I get, say, 450 FPS in a bow that's ~8 lb scoped and ready to go?

2nd question: Other than that slick Garmin rangefinding scope, what's the best solution now for mounting a rangefinder on a bow so that it can be easily used manually?
Old 08-19-2023, 01:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by PaulFWI
Hello, here's another one of those annoying what-crossbow-should-I-buy-? threads.

Long-time hunter, new to crossbows. My main motivation is that it is the only type of weapon with which I can hunt fall turkey AND deer - at the same time!

I must say I'm a bit shocked by the prices at the high-end now. Still, I may well buy a TenPoint Vapor RS470 Xero. It sounds phenomenal. Yet, I know from many years' experience carrying firearms that hauling a 10 lb bow all day in the woods is going to be tiring. (I'm not young anymore.)

I can't have my cake and eat it too. I want SOTA performance
concrete sealing orlando - velocity - in a lighter bow. Can I get it? Can I get, say, 450 FPS in a bow that's ~8 lb scoped and ready to go?

2nd question: Other than that slick Garmin rangefinding scope, what's the best solution now for mounting a rangefinder on a bow so that it can be easily used manually?
  1. Lightweight High-Performance Crossbow: Achieving a balance between high performance and a lighter weight crossbow is possible, but it may require some compromise. You mentioned the TenPoint Vapor RS470 Xero, which is known for its performance but comes at a weight of around 8 lbs scoped. To get close to your desired 450 FPS with a lighter weight, you might need to explore models that prioritize weight reduction, but keep in mind that you may need to accept slightly lower FPS. Consider looking at models from different manufacturers that focus on a lightweight design.
  2. Rangefinder Mounting: Mounting a rangefinder on a crossbow for easy manual use is a practical addition for long-range shooting. Apart from the Garmin rangefinding scope you mentioned, there are other options available. Some hunters use aftermarket rangefinder brackets that can be attached to the crossbow's stock. These brackets securely hold the rangefinder, allowing you to quickly access and use it while aiming. Be sure to choose one that is compatible with your specific crossbow model.
Ultimately, finding the ideal crossbow that offers a balance between performance and weight, as well as a suitable rangefinder mounting solution, might require some research and testing. It's worth visiting a local archery shop or trying out different models to see what feels most comfortable and meets your needs for hunting turkey and deer simultaneously.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by PaulFWI

I can't have my cake and eat it too. I want SOTA performance - velocity - in a lighter bow. Can I get it
Panasonic PT-LB20SU [61/144] Others? Can I get, say, 450 FPS in a bow that's ~8 lb scoped and ready to go?

Hey there, It's understandable to feel overwhelmed by the range of options and prices when looking for a crossbow. The TenPoint Vapor RS470 Xero does indeed have an impressive reputation, but considering the weight and your concerns about carrying it all day, it's worth exploring lighter options that still offer high performance. While achieving 450 FPS in a crossbow that's around 8 lbs scoped and ready to go might be a bit of a challenge, there are still plenty of models on the market that offer excellent velocity and accuracy without being overly heavy. Brands like Ravin, Excalibur, and Scorpyd are known for producing high-performance crossbows that are relatively lighter in weight compared to some others. For your second question about mounting a rangefinder on a bow for easy manual use, there are a few options available. Some companies offer specialized brackets or mounts that attach directly to the bow and hold the rangefinder securely within easy reach. Another option is to use a rangefinder with a wrist strap, allowing you to wear it like a wristwatch for quick and easy access while hunting. Ultimately, finding the right crossbow and accessories that balance performance, weight, and ease of use will depend on your personal preferences and hunting style. I'd recommend trying out different models if possible and doing thorough research to find the perfect fit for your needs.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

There are a lot of choices on crossbows. I bought a 400fps Ten Point and it is very flat shooting out to 50 yards. I am an experienced bow shooter so judging yardage is something I have gotten pretty good at
I still have a range finder but use it to learn correct yardage when I first set up a tree stand or popup blind. I zero in on features like a big tree, stump or high grass in a field. Identifying whether a deer is 25 or 35 yards isn't that difficult for me and if I am off a little the flat shooting crossbow makes up for the error. One thing I will suggest is getting a crossbow with a cocking and de-cocking mechanism. Having to shoot into a target or into the dirt at the end of a hunt isn't good. I can cock mine using the built in crank right up in the tree and de-cock just as easily and all silently.