HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Crossbow recommendations. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/427150-crossbow-recommendations.html)

riskincide 11-30-2021 11:28 AM

Crossbow recommendations.

So after I got my covid bonus from uncle Peabody my next check will have around $650 extra dollars on it and was thinking about getting a crossbow. Any anyone has any suggestions on the basics to get for a beginner? Trying to stay close to that amount that my uncle was so kind to give to me.

baileeelliott3 12-23-2021 01:03 PM

I also purchased a crossbow at $300. I'm looking for the same advice on this crossbow.

Wingbone 12-24-2021 01:24 AM

With crossbows, you get what you pay for. Spend the money. Get a good one.

grinder67 12-24-2021 12:06 PM

I have had a centerpoint sniper 370 ($214.00) new when I bought it several years ago. I dont think you need to pay $1500.00 on a crossbow to be happy

Champlain Islander 12-24-2021 01:27 PM

Some of the higher end ones have cocking and de-cocking mechanisms. That is worth quite a bit IMO. The Ten Point Viper S400 I have is a 400 FPS cross bow that has a built in crank to cock and de-cock it. It takes literally 5 seconds to unload and de-cock it and be legal for the vehicle trip home.

Rob in VT 01-09-2022 03:28 PM

I have a TenPoint Titan which was in your price range. It shoots 370fps and is very accurate. It doesn’t have a de-cocking mechanism like CIs does. I just shoot a practice bolt into a target to unload. The only knock I have is that it is very loud. I’m going to see if I can get some so d dampers for on it.

redmag 02-02-2022 02:05 PM

I have an older Excalibur Ibex.that I bought used. I recommend them since there is not much of anything that can cause you problems (no cables, wheels or cams). Even an older one like mine is very effective. I thought about a newer one but have a few concerns with the new Micros. Check out Wyvern Creations for great package deals on new bows. Try the classified on Archerytalk and Crossbow Nation. I saw a good deal on used (4 month old) Micro Mage 340 on Crossbow Nation marketplace for $500 tdy. Good luck.

Oldtimr 02-03-2022 01:07 PM

Carbon Express 390, I have taken a buck and 2 doe with mine in 3 years. It is fast and accurate and it didn't cost thousands of dollars.

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-10-2022 05:07 AM

best value crossbows by centerpoint many models to pick from....I own three and sold one other

Oldtimr 05-11-2022 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by riskincide (Post 4399627)
So after I got my covid bonus from uncle Peabody my next check will have around $650 extra dollars on it and was thinking about getting a crossbow. Any anyone has any suggestions on the basics to get for a beginner? Trying to stay close to that amount that my uncle was so kind to give to me.

Why not just go to a archery shop, most have ranges. Pick out 2 or 3 in your price range and shoot a few bolts from them and make a decision on what you like rather than what others like.