Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
When to replace your strings??? >

When to replace your strings???

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

When to replace your strings???

Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking When to replace your strings???

My string is about four years old, but looks in good shape. The only fraying I have is whee the string connects the trigger mechanism. The part that is frayed is the protection wrapping.

When do you guys replace your strings? I know what the factory says, but that doesn't impress me. They are out to make money.

The frayed wrap:

Overall view of strings and cables:

Old 08-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Take it to a trusted shop and they might just have to change the serving.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I change mine every three years at a minimum if I see damage I replace it before I shoot it. If you have ever seen a bow explode you would be a little more willing to drop a few $ every couple of years.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm, in the same boat, I replace as soon as they seem to have wear, and that's about one a yr for me
better safe than sorry

I seen my buddys reverse draw Horton explode while he was loading it, the server wear had worn into the main string, was 3 yrs old only and not shot a bunch too!
costed him about 500 bucks to fix, needed new limbs
was VERY lucky he didn't get hurt, or his kids, as he bought it for his kids more or less!
strings are cheap insurance , if they look worn, replace, better safe than sorry!
LOTS Of friction on them and a LOT of stress too!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have one that the bow dismounts like my Parker Hurricane just get a sever and read up on it they are easy to reserve be very careful not to cut the string when taking the old serving off. The straight bows like my Excalibur are also easy just get a unstringing tool. There are some that need a bow press and some that have long enough screws to take the pressure off the limbs.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say yer servin is shot n eeds reserved.Yer harness cables maybe fine jus look real close to see if'en they be dryin out n need waxin. Myself 4 yrs would be changin the set
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Your serving wore because you haven't lubed the string & cables enough. Plus you flight rail isn't properly lubed either. Keep those items DRIPPING wet & you'll triple or even quadruple their service life! Wax the string, serving & cables before & after EVERY firing session. & even DURING shooting if you fire over about a dozen shots. Relive your flight rail ever 6th shot!

Sounds like a lot because it is but the lube & wax are the LIFEBLOOD of your string & cable. They are under much more tension & force than the typical compound bow.