Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Tenpoint Crossbow Scope fogging up >

Tenpoint Crossbow Scope fogging up

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tenpoint Crossbow Scope fogging up

Old 11-01-2015, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tenpoint Crossbow Scope fogging up

I have had this crossbow for 3 seasons now but today for the first time my scope was fogged to the point I couldn't get a shot a deer that was 25 yards away. I for sure didn't breathe on it. It has stayed outside in an unheated hunting shack for the last 6 weeks.

Weather; 50 degrees with 100% humidity and low winds. It was colder yesterday and it rained on and off from 9p.m. to 4a.m. Fog has been present since before sunrise.

Are these TenPoint scopes having issues for anyone? I would like to know because I am contemplating getting a Nikon or Leupold scope like my scoped firearms.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

If the fog is on the inner side of the lens, then the scope is history. The only scope I have owned that had that similar results was a tasco (will never own another one, cost me a decent buck).

I hear ten point stands behind their equipment, I would purchase a new scope as you indicated, send the defective scope back to the factory, and then sell the replaced item.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Was fog on inside or outside?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 AM
JW
Super Moderator

We need you to answer the question above. the topic has been covered well. 10 point does stand behind the brand!

Now what I do is use Removable Scope Caps (Clear lense on one side and a Yellow Lense on the other). With the temperature you indicated in your post all you would need to do was remove the scope caps. the fogging would go with it.
I suspect because of your ambient temperature and relative humidity there is nothing wrong with your scope at all. It was just that humid at the time and any lense would have fogged.

So do check that.

And get back to us!

What I use traveling to and from the stand and to help keep my scope lense clean in rain or bad weather comes off quick

JW

Last edited by JW; 11-02-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fog was on the outside of the lens and I haven't used the removable cap in two years. My scoped rifles have flip lens covers but I brain farted the concept on a crossbow. I figure on the weather being the issue and I raged a little because of the deer I couldn't shoot. After I posted this thread I noticed the whole crossbow was wet and it did not rain that morning. The scope was crystal clear yesterday evening when I went back out to hunt. I know Tenpoint scopes aren't Leupolds so I was quick to make assumptions.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

To prevent internal fogging, good quality scopes are purged of oxygen and then filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is an inert gas that does not support burning or explode under pressure. I have worked with nitrogen when pressure testing small sections of pipe in the natural gas industry. All the best.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Another trick i use. TP paper a sheet laid over the lense. Can be quickly removed.
And is also one reason i carry a cope pen purchased from Cabelas long ago. Google it. Simple little device fits in your pocket no bigger than a sharpie marker has a retractable brush. Other end take cap off shined and cleans scope glass quickly wet or dry.
JW