Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
First Crossbow on the way >

First Crossbow on the way

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First Crossbow on the way

Old 08-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default First Crossbow on the way

I just ordered my forst crossbow and actually got if for a song. I have on the way a NIB Excalibur Ibex w/scope, bolts and quiver that I found for $300.
I can't wait to get it and sight it in. I may use it occasionally but I can still shoot my compound quite accurately out to 70 yards. The main reason I got it was so that I could take my grandson and granddaughter out for deer and turkey under PA's mentored youth program. I will still have a month or so the get them to practice with me.
One thing I would like to know is what broadheads do you recommend for the Ibex. Until I get it and weigh the FTs I won't know which BH weight to buy. As for bolts I think another 1/2 dozen is in order. Recommended weight is 350 gr. I assume that is bolt total weight including tip.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your xbow. i would try 100-125 or 150 gr. broadheads. that crossbow shouldnt be too picky. as far as arrows go the factory arrows are good but many use black eagle excutioners as an alternative arrow.if you get a chance check this forum out. they know everything Excalibur. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...wforum.php?f=1
Old 08-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

thanks for the reply. added to my favorites
Old 08-09-2015, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

woww ..you really got a bargain on that IBEX...I have one and love it, am using 125 gr slick trick mags..
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Spike

I had an Ibex and it is a greaat bow. Shoots nearly everything you put in it very accurately (do not recommend shooting at the same spot twice out to at least 40 yards - don't ask how I know).

The factory arows shoot well, but after trying several different makes, I went to Deer Crossing for quality and price. I shoot Swhacker 100 grain heads and had no problem at all getting field points and broadheads to group together.

If you decide to try Deer Crossing arrows, code Joe53 is good for 10% off at check out.

Have fun with the young ones!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Spike

try the rage broadheads that are made for crossbows I have used them on deer and bear with very good results but just like compound bows tips that shoot out of one bow mat not shoot good out of another . one option is to ask you buddys what they shoot and borrow one and try it out on your crossbow congrates on your new crossbow and good luck
Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your new prize.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Spike

I have been using the Rage 100 grain for the past 2 years and they work great.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great x-bow for a super price!!!