Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow scopes

Old 12-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default crossbow scopes

Looking at replacing the pkg scope that came with my Parker Tornado. Budgets $250 to max of $300.

My crossbow experience is limited,but having rifle hunted for 25 years or so I know you get what you pay for.

Any recommendations?

Nikon Cabelas has looked promising. Think its the XR model.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought the red hot crossbow scope for my buck buster and it's the one that has the illuminated reticles green or red.... I like it!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

The Nikon is pretty good if you'd prefer a fixed power scope.

I'd suggest the Leupold Crossbones which is a 2-7X variable that has 5 aim points built into the reticule which is designed for crossbow use. It's at the high end of your price range but is as good a crossbow scope as I think you'll find for that price range.

Really when it comes to made for crossbow scopes there's only one that beats the Leupold IMO & that is the Vortex Viper XBR scope. The Vortex has a much larger objective lens, is illuminated, 2.5-10X 44mm scope. Many advantages of the Vortex crossbow scope, no other made for crossbow scope I know of comes close to it...............BUT.........it's also 2X your prefered budget @ $600.......so that is a deal breaker for many.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Vortex is good... but BIG and HEAVY. Surprisingly, the 4X Aero that came on my Camx is a pretty decent scope. It's Pacific Rim (Korea) in origin, but it gets the job done with ease. It has short ER which allows a nice, cozy cheek weld and hold.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Bugs makes a valid point, the Vortex is big and heavy when compared to the Leo crossbones scope, almost 9 oz heavier, which is almost double........9.9 oz compared to 18.8 oz.

But if you compare the Vortex XBR to rifle scopes of same performance it's shorter than most and within 2-4 oz in weight, though the Vortex is still a bit heavier.

BUT, so far as made for crossbow scopes go, it's unbeatable by any other scope on the market for features & performance.

Does not make it the right scope for all for sure, mostly due to price, but also due it's size/weight for some.

Last edited by craig; 12-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

While a big objective lens on a rifle forces use of high rings, that then make a good cheek weld harder to hold.

But on a crossbow? This isn't a issue, the large objective lens has tons of room as it's extended out forward of the arrow retainer/trigger area housing that it's mounted on.

Which also brings up the point that ANY rifle scope that can be ordered with custom elevation turret will work well on a crossbow if you don't desire the made for crossbow type reticule.

Problem is those scopes that you can get custom turrets for also tend to have a bit higher cost to them as well...though you might be able to get a custom turret for the Crossbones as it's listed as having custom shop available for it.

I hope we'll see some new & better crossbow scopes in future, but the scope companies so far don't seem to be in much of a hurry about it.

Last edited by craig; 12-20-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Tornadoe. I have used a Nikon BDC type cross bow scope for 2 seasons. I like it a lot. Has held zero and the "DC" marks are pretty darn consistent as they are described in the Nikon literature.

I had had a 3- red dot, lighted type scope on it before and for whatever reason I have done a much better job of bolt location with the Nikon BDC. Plus one less thing to be concerned with .... don't need battery life !!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If ya really want to go big ($) there is a crossbow ACOG made by Trijicon. There are three versions depending on bow speed. They run north of a grand! YIKES.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
If ya really want to go big ($) there is a crossbow ACOG made by Trijicon. There are three versions depending on bow speed. They run north of a grand! YIKES.

Have you used any of the Trijicon scopes Bugs? Impressions, pro or con you'd care to offer?

I've not used the Trijicon line, for gun or crossbow. I like how compact & light they are, but a 1K scope is something I'd buy only if I were positive it was real ideal for my needs.

I'd forgotten about Trijicon. So another possible option.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the scoop. When the holidays pass and finances look better I'll have to start looking at the Nikons . Had decent luck with Prostaff models on Muzzleloader s and one highpower rifle,so hopefully that carrys over to xbows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.