HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Got my first buck with stealth ss (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/394721-got-my-first-buck-stealth-ss.html)

bravo2 10-06-2014 12:11 AM

Got my first buck with stealth ss

Got my first buck with stealth ss Saturday after sending scope off for replacement. I had gotten scope back Friday and sighted xbow in just in time for my weekend off and Saturday was first time I got to hunt. Spitfire did not perform like I would like it to. I may have hit bone maybe why no pass through. The shot was under 15 yards but it ran off around 130 yards and stopped. Shot went tad high middle and little back. I figured it would go high little bit since zeroed at 20 yards. 2 blades were forward one closed and other pretty well closed and third was partial back. When I put them they were very tight, hard to open and close so maybe why. I got some swackers I have not tried. I thought of trying something else. Ideas?

Here is pics. Not sure of age of the deer? Tines has dark brown on the back sides with lots of white pointed spots on the tines.

bugsNbows 10-06-2014 07:39 AM

Great freezer fare there. Congrats. Looks like an explosion in a blood factory! Regarding X-bow BH's, I'm using RamCats and they do indeed fly / land exactly like my field points.

redmag 10-06-2014 12:30 PM

I just use the plain old NAP Thunderheads and I have had no problems with my Excalibur. Killed several with it last year, all good shots and I usually see them fall.

bravo2 10-08-2014 09:43 PM

I like to try ramcats and toxic.

rafsob 10-18-2014 08:10 AM

I hate mechanical BH's. As you stated, yours didn't work right. I have used three bladed Muzzy BH and they have never failed.

grinder67 10-18-2014 09:23 AM

I guess i am missing something . If the broadhead didn't open how did that giant hole get in its side?

rafsob 10-18-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by grinder67 (Post 4164761)
I guess i am missing something . If the broadhead didn't open how did that giant hole get in its side?

He said that two of the three blades opened!

grinder67 10-18-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4164769)
He said that two of the three blades opened!

Re-read his post and he didnt say two of the three opened!! They obviously opened due to the damage in the photo. My confusion is, what else was the broadhead suppose to do beyond the 6inch hole it cut in the side on an apparent hard quartering shot!?!

rafsob 10-18-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bravo2 (Post 4162604)
. 2 blades were forward one closed and other pretty well closed and third was partial back.

This BH only has 3 blades!!!!!!!!!

Plus the arrow was sticking out of the deers body. This is likely the reason for the damage. I hope you are more alert in the woods!!!

grinder67 10-18-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4164775)

Plus the arrow was sticking out of the deers body. This is likely the reason for the damage. I hope you are more alert in the woods!!!

Really! The shaft cut all that hide and meat? LOL! You are funny! Glad I have alert people like you to educate slow folks like me.:poke:

grinder67 10-18-2014 11:58 AM

. 2 blades were forward one closed and other pretty well closed and third was partial back.

To me this would say none opened which is obviously not the case. Again what else would you (rafsob)have expected any other broadhead to have done that this one did not?

grinder67 10-18-2014 12:27 PM

To the O.P.,

I have used the spitfire 125's for many years with great results. The position of the blades after you removed the arrow are not a reflection of whether they deployed or not. When target practicing if the broadhead fully penetrates the target but the shaft does not the sudden stop will often close all the blades. but inspection on the entry side will show that the blades did indeed deploy. As for the swackers I think they would be a great head to use and I have thought about trying them myself.
And my apologies for getting off topic in the above post.

rafsob 10-18-2014 12:50 PM

Have you ever hunted for deer before? Deer runs through woods and everything will grab that arrow and yes it will cause that damage!!!

grinder67 10-18-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4164781)
Have you ever hunted for deer before? Deer runs through woods and everything will grab that arrow and yes it will cause that damage!!!

For knowing so much your sure wrong a lot. Have a nice day professor

bravo2 10-19-2014 12:36 AM

With all the rain we have been having here is my second hunt this year and this is what I got Saturday with the crossbow! Complete pass through on the heart at 15 yards. Hit where I aimed and did not go but 30 yards! The buck came right behind me never had that before at about 5 yrds! I had to wait till it moved out behind to shoot him. Safety worked perfect as I read to do. No sound when holding both sides with fingers. I will do that for here on out! Age you think on the buck? Friend thinks for sure good solid 115 field dressed. We never weighed it. Sure had a lot more meat and fat layer.

grinder67 10-19-2014 09:45 AM

Very nice! What broadhead did you use? I would guess 1.5 year old and field dress closer to 125 pounds.

bravo2 10-19-2014 10:03 AM

Friend thought buck was about 2. I was guessing weight us we was pulling it up the steep mtn seemed more like 125 lbs maybe 130. Something like that. Nap spitfire broadheads left a good blood trail. Exit wod looked like a slit to me like a two blade. Don't know if third blade opened or cut any. I did not inspect it that close but across blades cut looked like on exit. Deer was all muscle except for thick fat layer.

bravo2 10-23-2014 08:58 PM

Third hunt third deer but I lost it, a doe yesterday and know I hit her good took me a while to find blood trail and could here her not far away. 15-20 yrd shot from ladder stand. I first saw doe to my left about 15 yrds. She spooked off looking at me. A doe came back 10 minutes later from opposite side. Thinking same deer not certain. I shot her at 15-20 yrds. The bolt showed I hit her by hairs and smell but no blood like when I shot the buck. I know It was a pass through. I went picked up a the blood trail over 50 yrds out. First 20 yrds or so I found nothing. I tracked the deer 3/4 mile or a mile I sure. I figured early on I may be pushing her as pools of blood then drips and so on thought the tracking. She bleed good then barely drops at times a ways then pools again. I almost could not stay on the trail but we tracked her through a creek and she doubled back by us back over the creek and lost trail right about where she came in at crossing the same road. We kept hearing her ahead but could not catch up to her so I know we lost her 20 yrds or so from the road and think she went out to road where she came in at. I could not believe she did not bleed out. Spent three hrs and I just gave up in the dark at that point when we where right back to same trail. I hated loosing a deer and not finding it but we tracked good and hard and had fresh blood the whole way so I know we kept pushing her till we finally lost her. I bet she was not 15-25 yrds away for longest.
I'm trying another broadheads as this one I had two broken blades. I'm not doing this again if I can keep from it. Two deers I had to track the other had no blood trail for 100 yrds that I could not find on the spike. The 6 point buck blood trail was like this one and he dropped 30 yrds.
What you all recommend. Havoc, swackers, toxic, or ramcats? I'm not going to use rage as not interested in them to many neg reviews even though good ones. The ones from what it's called craft looks good also.

Mr. Longbeard 10-24-2014 07:25 AM

News flash... Mechanical broadheads don't always pass threw and for the ones that stay in body cavity... Hears the news flash... The arrow can actually back out of deer while running... What happens to a mechanical broadhead like the spit fire when you pull arrow back... Blades go forward...

bravo2 10-26-2014 12:00 PM

Those are things I already knew about. Thanks.

ranger56528 11-04-2014 11:22 PM

Congrats. The SS is my go to for compound and my go to recurve is a Matrix.

Mr. Longbeard 12-18-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by grinder67 (Post 4164774)
Re-read his post and he didnt say two of the three opened!! They obviously opened due to the damage in the photo. My confusion is, what else was the broadhead suppose to do beyond the 6inch hole it cut in the side on an apparent hard quartering shot!?!

Some people just can't look at a picture and tell wth happened... Broadhead worked fine

craig 12-31-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rafsob (Post 4164775)

???????

So the shaft alone cut through both hide & ribs to make that huge entry hole? ? Sure.......not so much bro.

Rather I expect that the blades DID open properly, but on impact with large bone deep into the wound, probably the far shoulder/leg, the blades then snaped forward mostly closed. Or when he withdrew the arrow just being draw out through a bunch of meet/hide ect closed them.

I'd also ask if he was making use of the standard Spitfire BH, or the newer made for crossbows Spits. I've tried the standard Spits for compound bows through my own Scorpyd 165 & a few/some open in flight. When that happens you get a sort of Bugs Bunny, Road Runner type flight plan........not good at all.

But I've had no issues firing the Spitfire 1.75" cut 125 gr. crossbow Spitfire Max BH from / through my Scorpyd 165. My bow throws a 452 gr. arrow & BH at 414 fps measured with a crony set 4' in front of my crossbow. I bought 3 packs of those BH & ALL OF THEM work correctly.

Same bow with a 403 gr. target arrow shoots 427 fps.

That huge cut is due to the very sharp angle of the shot taken. One of the blades skimmed along unzipping that spike's side as the arrow entered on a shallow angle.

craig 12-31-2014 06:15 PM

bravo2,

Congrats on a nice young buck! Much very good eating there for you & yours, enjoy!

If you're making use of the original Spitfire BHs intended for compound verticle bows I'd suggest you may wish to buy a pack of the Spitfire Max crossbow BH. You can get them in both 100 & 125 gr.

I've not used the 100 gr. BH, but do have and use the 125gr. type. They've not failed me.

Attempts to make use of the original Spits made for compound bows resulted in some strange, though interesting, flight paths. One or 2 of the blades open in flight results in a arrow flying like those the Wiley Coyote gets......swerving off course & coming in to stick him in the b...........LOL.