Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
A few questions from newbie >

A few questions from newbie

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

A few questions from newbie

Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

Onmis have been out for awhile, TenPoint puts stickers on their bows stating to use them. Won't suffer any major catastrophe if you don't use them. Any "bow tech" that deals with crossbows that pays even a little attention to what's going on should no about them. Technology is moving quick with crossbows, good techs need to know whats going on. Run, run as fast as you can fom that shop.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only 7 years experience hunting with a cross bow. My first was a then top if the line, used Ten Point that I bought from a buddy who "upgraded" to that year's new Ten Point model. It shot great. I had an issue with the safety. Ten Point's service was great and they made the repair quickly at no cost to me. I sold it. I now shoot a Parkler Tornado. It fits me better than the Ten Point did. It too shoots great.

As far as bolts? I use carbon. I have never had any issues with shaft fatigue. As far as broad heads? I hunted with a bow from 1964 to 2006. I always used a fixed blade. I still do. I am not knocking mechanicals. I don't use them because I have not come across any reason to. When I first started using a cross bow, I tried out three borad heads .... all 3 blade, 125 gr. I tried two replaceable blade designs (Muzzy and NAP Thunderhead) and one 1-piece design (Montec G3). I had no issues with point of impact variance. Groups at 30 yards too tight to aim at the same point .... no "Robin Hoods", but several shaved fletchings and nicked shafts (discarded)!

I use the G3 simply because it is a simple and the edges are easily dressed up with a flat file if need be. I have hunted only whitetail deer and feral hogs with my cross bows. All have been clean kills, except of course the misses. Fortunately, so far, none wounded. I have had good blood trails leading to rather easy recoveries and no problems with penetration. I have never taken a shot at a deer or hog that was over about 40 - 45 yards, with the overwheming majority under 30 yards. I can recall only one time the bolt did not pass through a deer. A few of the larger feral hogs, a different story .... most of the time a pass through, but a few times on the bigger ones (250-350 pound range), especially boars when I hit just behind the shoulder, the bolts made it in 10"-12" at a minimum. That "battle plate" can be some kind of tough !! So bottom line ... based upon my experience .... carbon shafts and 3 blade, non-mechanical, 125 gr. broadheads that will cut 1 1/8" to 1 1/2".
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

So far so good. I finally was able to get to my local archery shop with an indoor range. I didn't want to start off outside in case the scope was way off and I was launching arrows into no mans land. Anyway I shot 5 and it was about an inch or so high. I shot 5 more and all were great. I was at 20 yards and all were touching the x. Any thing at that point was likely me and not an accuracy issue with my Xbow. First time ever shooting a crossbow so I was very impressed. I was a little surprised at how loud it was but the guy said the tight quarters of his range cause it to be louder then it will be outside. I have the Bowjax on it.

Last question. A few of the bolts were up to the fletch in the target and the fletch's have a slight wrinkle to them. Doe this have a huge impact on accuracy or is this common with Xbows?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Excalibur Vortex and use GT Lazer II's with brass inserts and aluminum flat nocks. Last season I used the G5 T3 mechanicals. They shoot nice, but due to health issues I didn't make it out much and didn't harvest a deer last season. Hoping this year will be better. I love the Lazer II's as they are straight, durable and affordable. I ordered mine with the 4" vanes and 110g brass inserts for a weight forward arrow. As far as mechanicals go there are several good ones on the market. I've used the MeatSeekers, NAP Spitfires, even the small rockets with the 1" blades. All with great results. Most of todays namebrand broadheads are pretty good. A lot of it is personal preference, although some may be stronger than others. The ones I listed are all very good though. There are also a lot of good arrows. Again I like the lazer line because they are good quality yet affordable.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
So far so good. I finally was able to get to my local archery shop with an indoor range. I didn't want to start off outside in case the scope was way off and I was launching arrows into no mans land. Anyway I shot 5 and it was about an inch or so high. I shot 5 more and all were great. I was at 20 yards and all were touching the x. Any thing at that point was likely me and not an accuracy issue with my Xbow. First time ever shooting a crossbow so I was very impressed. I was a little surprised at how loud it was but the guy said the tight quarters of his range cause it to be louder then it will be outside. I have the Bowjax on it.

Last question. A few of the bolts were up to the fletch in the target and the fletch's have a slight wrinkle to them. Doe this have a huge impact on accuracy or is this common with Xbows?
Sure it could affect performance. A good way to straighten out the vanes is by taking a hairdryer and heating them, then smooth them back out using your fingers... works great!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try.

I ended up ordering some Grim Reaper mechanicals tonight. I got the 125 grain 1 1/2 inch heads. My field tips are 100 grain but I read several articles about using a little heavier heads to keep the weight on the end. I am going to try them and see how they fly.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

They should do fine for you. And yes, the extra weight forward seems to improve penetration if you hit bone lke a shoulder ect. At least from what I have experienced. I think it may help accuracy as well. I know when I switched from regular "off the shelf" arrows with regular inserts to the 110gr. brass inserts, I noticed better all around performance. I really like the heavier weight forward arrows. Especially when deer hunting. I almost always get a complete pass-through. My Vortex will get her done with my arrow set-up that's for sure. The best $500 I ever spent.