Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
SA Sport Crusader Question(s) >

SA Sport Crusader Question(s)

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

SA Sport Crusader Question(s)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default SA Sport Crusader Question(s)

Greetings. I'm new to this forum. I have a few questions regarding a new crossbow I purchased -
SA Sport Crusader 225 lbs Crossbow Package 4x32 Scope 547.

It's in transit and should be on my doorstep Tuesday. I wanted to ask a few questions prior to getting it. First off does anyone have this particular crossbow and do they have any positive or negative feedback/advice they care to share?

1.) I'm hunting whitetail deer with this crossbow. What would be recommended for gain weight of bolt? What's a worthy mid-range (cost) brand bolt? Aluminum or Carbon? Are all crossbow bolts universal - besides length, are crossbow bots interchangeable with different brands of crossbows?

2.) What grain weight would you recommend for broadhead?

3.) How often would you wax string and is the wax different from the one I use on my compound bow?

4.) I will be hunting from treestand. Are you sitting or standing when taking shot? Are you using some type of shooting stick to steady crossbow?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your responses and advice.

Last edited by Smoothie_Jonez; 08-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/...&fromMainBar=1

Not a whole lot of info there, but some. Seems like the main trouble they can have is with trigger claws, and most every heavy draw recurve can have issues there.

As far as arrows, I'd get either Black Eagle Executioners, or Gold Tip Laser 3s. Both are carbon arrows. I shoot the Black Eagles out of my frankenbow, which is 220# draw and 14" power stroke, very close to the Crusader. If I do my part they will group broadheads inside 1.5" at 30 yards from a rest. I use 100 grain broadheads, mostly Slick Trick Magnums. There are many good 100 grain broadheads out there. When hunting, you can get shots either sitting down or standing. Depends on the situation. I recommend you check out Crossbow Talk World, and Crossbow Nation. Both are forums that get more traffic than this board. I haven't been here for some time myself.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use yer wax you had its all good. I prefer to sit & use support fer my shots on game. I like n use 100gr BH's but thats me. Hey best of luck to ya. I don't come here very often anymore.