Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
crossbow preference >

crossbow preference

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow preference

Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Spike

New crossbow hunter here last year. I purchased a Carbon Express CX2 and love it. Salesman at B&B said it was a solid bow. The thing I really like is its compact size. Bought the upgraded scope and it shots right on with every bolt that flies from it. Would highly recommend it.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to two bow shops. I asked each which companies product do they do the most repairs to, and hands down both stated without hesitation Barnett. Lots of string and cable issues.

I shot three different crossbows, and was torn between a Tenpoint and a Parker. Both have an excellent product and superb warranty. All things being equal, today I chose the Parker over the Tenpoint because it simply felt better in my hands and felt more like I was shouldering my Encore 50 x 209 Magnum. Can't wait to start dialing it in.

Now I guess the next question would be arrows ie: what to look for in them?

Thanks for the input folks

Last edited by crokit; 07-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Spike

I also just spent several months researching crossbows, including an overnight trip to Cabelas to get some "hands-on" experience. I bought the Excalibur Matrix 380. I liked the simple design, durability, speed, and reputation of the company. Now that it is in my hands, I really like the accuracy. If I am on a trip in remote country, I can easily change the string myself. Lots of good products out there. The Matrix seemed to suit my wants and needs.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

ive owned a parker, it was a good bow and parker has the best customer service ive ever seen. I wanted something different and got into an Excalibur last year and really like it. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the name brand bows.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late into this thread I realize. If it is any comfort, I have used a Parker Tornado for several years now. No issues. Fast and accurate. Not sure how many times I ahve shot it ... 400-500 at the range I'd guess ... and 23 times in the field. One clean miss ... 22 clean kills. Missed a coyote at about 75 yards on a "poke and hope" shot. Just a wee bit over his back .... about 3' !!!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I believe it comes down to what your pocket book can afford. $1500.00 plus is nuts
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Excalibur Matrix mega 405. Efficient and deadly.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Spike

I owned a Parker crossbow. Just go ahead, it's really perfect.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have some excaliburs and a 10 point recurve. All of them are great. Not knocking anyone but barnetts are to be avoided. To many stories online about them breaking.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stinkworm
I just pulled the trigger on a new crossbow. After months of researching I chose the excalibur matrix 405 mega. I love the simple design, no wheels,cams, or pulleys to get out of alignment and i can change the string myself without fancy equipment. They say excal has great customer support but hopefully I'll never have to find out. Had I not went with excalibur, Tenpoint was my next choice. The main reason i chose the excalibur was I talked with 2 bow shops and both said they never had an excalibur brought in for any sort of problems. hope this helps but they are several good companies that make great crossbows so it's really up to you and what best fits you.
Not sure if this was posted before. Just saw in xbow mag a Recall on Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbows. The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders. There is also one on PSE.
Just be safe and check with Excalibur & PSE .
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/...lls-Crossbows/
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/...lls-Crossbows/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.