Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
got my new scope >

got my new scope

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

got my new scope

Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Spike

Default got my new scope

when i bought my jag 175# it came with a cheap 3 dot scope and i didnt like it , my Brother got me a good deal on a Hawke XB1 and i got it today, it is sweet. it has red & green glass etched reticles with a speed adjustment. we forgot to order rings but i can get them easy. cant wait to shoot it
Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same scope on my Mission 320. Indications are you'll like it. Have not had the opportunity to shoot it past 20 yards (through my shop and into the pole barn because we have 1/2 foot of new snow on the ground...and more on the way). The scope responds well to adjustments at that close range, time will tell how much I have to tweak the variable power ('speed ring') to match the trajectory of the arrows I'm planning on using at extended ranges: Black Eagle Executioners with 92 gr insert, 3" vanes and 100 gr tip. Weigh in @ 405 grs.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Spike

ya i havnt figured out how to set the speed ring yet , they claim that the jag will shoot a 18" arrow 310 fps but im using 20" carbon arrows so im sure that will change the velocity some what. i couldnt find any 18" arrows localy should i be using them or are 20" ok ? Darn my Brother has a cronograph but he lives 2000 miles away in AZ
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need a chronograph. The 'speed ring' ring setting is nothing more than the variable magnification changer, it generally doesn't correspond exactly to arrow speed anyway.
Here's how to set it. Set the speed say for 300 fps. Next sight in the bow at 20 yards using the crosshairs. Now back up to 30 yards and shoot at the same point by using the next aiming point down (which elevates the bow slightly). If the arrow hits low DECREASE the speed setting; if it hit's high INCREASE it. What you're really doing is, with more or less magnification, changing the distance between the aiming points. Then try the next aiming point down at 40 yrds. Like as not it won't correspond exactly but you'll have a good idea were the arrow hits. You can play with it a little by fudging a bit on the 30 yard point of impact (a bit hi) to hit on at 40 OR you can sight the crosshairs at, say, 25 yards and see how 30 and 40 come out. It's a trial and error process, whose objective is to get the aiming points as close as possible to the actual trajectory of your arrow.
Note: Once you sight the crosshairs in, the point of impact won't change - at the distance you sighted in for - when you change the speed setting; however, the other aiming points will.
20" arrows are OK but watch out for the broadhead sticking out past the bow, and they will be a bit heavier, so slower.
Good luck, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Spike

Hey thanks for taking the time to answer my dumb questions Cossack , I am knowledgeable about guns but this crossbow thing is a real learning experience . My Brother is one of the smartest men in the US when it comes to guns, he has been reloading ammo for 50 years and has a reloading business that specializes in loading ammo for guns that you cant buy ammo for any more, he has written 3 books and writes for about 10 magazines and he don’t know anything about crossbows, so im on my own
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem Glad to be of help. No such thing as dumb questions when it comes learning your new 'obsession.' I currently own 4 crossbows, make my own arrows, strings and bow maintenance gear.
But we have something else in common: I'm a long time hobby gunsmith and reloader. Currently reload 16 different chamberings of rifles and 'handguns' (mostly Thompson Contenders) cartridges..including 5 wildcats. Small world.
Best luck, holler if you think I can help.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speed is way over rated, but it sells xbows. Your Jag is not now nor ever will hit 310 fps, fwiw. A 175# Excal only hits 305 fps w/ min weight arrows and a diff string. I answered another post of yours advising to watch the weight of your arrow[s]. The big diff will be in the inserts, either alum or brass. I'd cut the 20" down as much as you can go.......I'd also make 30-35 yds the farthest range I'd try a shot on a deer at, but that's me........
Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Spike

Scope is worth more than the bow. I like that!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wheelie
Scope is worth more than the bow. I like that!

Like the old saying with rifles.

"Buy the best rifle you can afford & a scope that cost a bit more than you can easy afford."

Same thing with Xbows really, for top shelf performance. You can put a $70 scope on a 2K crossbow & I'll shoot fair......or put a 2K scope on a $400 crossbow & get pretty decent results.

Best of course is about a 3.5K set up that rocks in any & all conditions. But who can afford that.......LOL.......
Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
Like the old saying with rifles.

"Buy the best rifle you can afford & a scope that cost a bit more than you can easy afford."

Same thing with Xbows really, for top shelf performance. You can put a $70 scope on a 2K crossbow & I'll shoot fair......or put a 2K scope on a $400 crossbow & get pretty decent results.

Best of course is about a 3.5K set up that rocks in any & all conditions. But who can afford that.......LOL.......
I don't agree on the comparison. Rifle scopes have to deal with magnification, clarity and parallax. Being a short range implement, those factors are less critical on a crossbow. I want good but sure not gonna stick on a $1000 scope to shoot 40 yards. Actually, I have yet to shoot at a deer past 30.