Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
broadhead question >

broadhead question

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

broadhead question

Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Spike

Default broadhead question

First time crossbower question here. I just got a new carbon express crossbow, wow, where have you been all my life!? I've gotten the scope dialed in with the field point, but my question, is there a particular type of broadhead that will shoot just like or close to the fieldpoint? Will it be a dramatic difference in where a broadhead hits versus a field point?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've had pretty good luck using mechanicals, NAP Spitfires. Been told that some fixed blades will plane.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Montec G5's,they can be resharpened.I practice with what I hunt with.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slick tricks std or mags.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
I use Montec G5's,they can be resharpened.I practice with what I hunt with.
So I'm guessing there is a slight difference in how a mechanical broadhead and field tip travel? Some broadheads I've noticed have practice heads, have you ever used those?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Get some Slick Trick 10ogr and never look back They fly just like a field tip. Leave a great would channel and great blood trail.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fire/hunting guy
So I'm guessing there is a slight difference in how a mechanical broadhead and field tip travel? Some broadheads I've noticed have practice heads, have you ever used those?
Nope.I choose one broad head and that's the one I practice with.I shot two deer last year so I guess it worked.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slick Tricks have proven to shoot so much like my field points that I no longer practice with them. They have the characteristics I've found to be essential to consistent flight: low profile (short) and 4 blades; plus they are TOUGH as nails. I suppose the manufactures that provide practice heads are doing so to offset the possibility of folks practicing with their "hunt heads," then using them for hunting without resharpening, which would undoubtedly result in bad publicity.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cossack
Slick Tricks have proven to shoot so much like my field points that I no longer practice with them. They have the characteristics I've found to be essential to consistent flight: low profile (short) and 4 blades; plus they are TOUGH as nails. I suppose the manufactures that provide practice heads are doing so to offset the possibility of folks practicing with their "hunt heads," then using them for hunting without resharpening, which would undoubtedly result in bad publicity.
Which grain do you shoot from your crossbow and do you use the one designed for a crossbow?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fire/hunting guy
Which grain do you shoot from your crossbow and do you use the one designed for a crossbow?
No I don't use the (heavy) ones designed for crossbow as the arrows I make have a 110 gr brass insert, don't need the extra weight. I'm using the Slick Trick Magnums in my bows. The 100 grainers the Phoenix and Vortex, and the 125 in the Cyclone; just to meet the minimum arrow weight requirements for that bow. (calls for 425 gr arrows).
Considered the slightly wider Griz version but decided not to fix something that isn't broken....for a change. Partially motivated by knowledge that bigger isn't always better where broadheads are concerned. I had planing problems with the original (large) Thunderheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.