Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Capture nocks

Old 08-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Capture nocks

Would a capture nock work for crossbows that requires a flat nock seems how it wraps the string? Therefore the string wouldnt jump under or over the nock. Think of building my own bolts.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

RB,
I would ask your bow manufacturer for that information rather than
take a chance but if your medical insurance is paid up????
daddus
Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Agree, not goin down that path, just order some gold tips and puttin flat nocks in them. One of those things if its not broke dont fix it. Was curious though.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using Q nocks by Firenocks on my arrows for the Cyclone, which calls for moons. Work great. I see no reason why it would not work on the bow that calls for flats as they connect to the string much like a vert arrow.

Last edited by Cossack; 10-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
I'm using Q nocks by Firenocks on my arrows for the Cyclone, which calls for moons. Work great. I see no reason why it would not work on the bow that valls for flats as they connect to the string much like a vert arrow.
With a few bows those can interfere with the anti-dryfire.

.And while contacting the bow's maker is a very good idea, they may not support there use just because they've not tested them in their bows. You can't blame them for that in this day & age of lawsuits galore.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
With a few bows those can interfere with the anti-dryfire.

.And while contacting the bow's maker is a very good idea, they may not support there use just because they've not tested them in their bows. You can't blame them for that in this day & age of lawsuits galore.
The ADF is well ahead of the nock so there is no way the can interfere with it. I would, however, use a flat nock if the bow calls for one. There is nothing to be gained by using a moon or capture nock is such a bow. In fact having to orient the arrow just so with a capture nock may be a liability. While I have shot moons from my Excaliburs they are not as accurate as flat nocks.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cossack makes a good point about proper "capture" or "moon" nock alignment. While doing so is a simple process, not doing so can lead to significant damage.

Good freind of mine bought the same cross bow that I was shooting ..... a Parker Tornado. Moon or capture nocks are specified. One afternooon, he had a group of fat does ease in almost as soon as he had gotten set up in his stand. He not loaded a bolt yet. Slid one in. Thought it was aligned. Not the case. Fired .... bolt flipped off to the side and fell to the ground. The dry-fire resulted in both limbs splitting nearly full length. To his surprise, Parker replaced the limbs at no cost.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why it's called a capture nock (or containment nock), has to be slipped over the string, not against it. Not surprised that Parker fixed his bobo, they stand behind their product ...from personal experience with two bows.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Ruttinbuck,
Getting back to your question I can now answer absolutely you can use capture nocks at least on a Stryker 380
daddus
I've now shot them and use them but I understand at my own risk!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default Capture Nocks

I own a Barnett Razr, and recently just bought a Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme. Both of those manufactures do not call for flat nocks to be used with the two bows I have. Barnett Razr calls for moon nocks only, and Scorpyd calls for capture nocks only, never use flat nocks. My Razr broke the string twice on me within a week, and I strongly believed that even with the moon nock, the string may have jumped or jacked the string. Because prior to pulling the trigger, I physically checked to make sure the arrow was seated all the way back against the string, off color vane faced down, and the nock faced the string properly. So, the string may have really jumped or jacked up the arrow. My personal opinion is capture nocks will suit the best for safety wise!!!! And it will be safer to shoot your arrow with capture nock than flat nock.

Last edited by Svx175; 01-21-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.