Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Quieting a Excalibur Vortex >

Quieting a Excalibur Vortex

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Quieting a Excalibur Vortex

Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Spike

Default Quieting a Excalibur Vortex

First off hello, I am new to posting on this forum. I have been reading it for a couple of years now and have taken alot of good information from it. Now to my question, I just bought an Excalibur Vortex and to me it seems to be louder than the compound bow I had before and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could quiet it down, or am I worrying about nothing. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Vortex as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you feel you MUST quiet it with string silencers, it will slow your arrow speed down a few FPS (some types more than others). I try to keep my shots on game generally within 30 yards in most cases and so far have not missed a deer. I have also shot a couple deer closer to the 40 yard range under "ideal" conditions (total broadside shot, calm, head down & feeding) and have not had any jump the string ,but it is still a possibilty with a using any type of bow. (it seems the farther the shot, the more time they would have to jump the string). So I would say, keep your shots within' the 30 yard or less range (when possible) and you should be okay. I try to keep my shots close anyways. This is just my personal experience and opinion, others may have different advice as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Spike

They are definitely louder than compounds. I wouldn't do silencers that attach to the string. They will only slow the arrow speed, and won't silence much at all. You can buy the silencers that screw onto the bow. I got mine from Excalibur. The string actually hits these upon release of the arrow. They quiet the bow A LOT! It's still gonna be louder than your compound, but I bet you'll give up a little more sound for the increase in speed.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

Hi...like the others I wouldn,t worry about the noise.I have been using an excaliber for over 20 years in Canada with no issues of string jumping.30 yards would be my distance as well but bow is capable of more under ideal conditions.I have tried compounds but never seen one compare yet.You won,t be sorry with your choice.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Spike

There is no such animal as a quite crossbow that a deer can't hear. If the sound really bothers you I would suggest using ear plugs. The deer do not seem to mind one way or the other. I do use the S5 string suppressors.

My Vortex is much quiter than my Win. Model 70 in .380
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions. I have always tried to keep shot within the 30 yd range so I guess everything will work out. Now I just need to go buy so quality ear plugs to go along with the Excalibur. LOL. Once again thanks for the help. Shoot straight.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bein deaf like i am helps keepin them quiet, heck i don't worry about it myself. The Excal S5 does a great job if'en you wish to purchase a set
Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Spike

The deer I shot couldn't . tell me if they heard the string or not ...under 30 Yd.'s.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The string stopper (REDS) will take some vibration out but ANYTHING applied to string or limbs will affect speed negatively...and won't do much for noise reduction to the level you imply. Some fill the stock with foam etc, makes it less tinny but not really quieter.
I try to shoot only at relaxed deer, withing 40 yards.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/cat...ression_system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.