Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New to crossbows >

New to crossbows

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New to crossbows

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
gei
Spike

Default New to crossbows

I purchased a Horton Fury, it seems like a nice bow. I had previously purchased some Beman ICS bolts, but they are lighter then the bolts Horton recommends. Are they safe to shoot. The Horton carbon arrows are 30 gr heavier then the Beman.
I bought Bemanbecause I use then in my compound bow.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Contact the bolt company they ought to be able to tell you.

Lighter bolts one will need to re-sight

Just my 2 cents -

JW
Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Spike

Default Crossbow Bolts

While others say that it is necessary to stick to the recommended grain weight, there are people who suggest using a slightly heavier one. They say that when using heavier bolts, crossbows tend to move smoothly; but this will cost you some speed. Weird as it may seem, lighter bolts are the ones that may cause serious damage. Using underweight bolts might cause unwanted physical injuries if ever the bow fails to work properly. Take it for whatever it's worth be careful.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 AM
gei
Spike

Default Broadhead weight

I read that Horton recommends 100 gain broadhead weight. Is this true, I would like to use 125 frain heaads
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by gei
I read that Horton recommends 100 gain broadhead weight. Is this true, I would like to use 125 frain heaads
Now that Horton is out of business it will be hard to get anything from them. But they would recommend an arrow broadhead combination for each of their bows. It is only a recommendation to get the same results they got and advertised.

You can make just about any set you want, but you will have to run tests with each combination. I have the Horton Vision and used their recommendation to set my rig. It is up to you my friend.

Good shooting!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'd not use a lighter than reccomended arrow in any crossbow. Use of lighter arrows means higher shock & vibration in the limbs & this in turn can cause failure of the limbs due to the higher stress loads.

Given that Horton has now folded.

I'd suggest you extend the life of the bows limbs by use of a arrow weighing about 10% higher than the minimum Horton suggested. The 10% weight increase will give you:

Higher KE

Lower stress to the limbs

Lower vibration & noise when fired.

Usually a increase of arrow weight, over the minimum suggested weight, also gives a increase in accuracy.

There are several pluses to use of a slightly heavier arrow. ONE glaring minus in use of the lighter than suggested weight arrow. Speed is not everything.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can call Wyvern Creations 603 659 0575 very helpful and
the best service you will ever get,Dave will work with you and
can answer all your questions.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

coyote170 makes a very good suggestion. Wyvern is a very good company with a lot of knowledge regarding crossbows of all kinds.

I'm sure they'll know what the minimum weight that Horton suggested & what the weight of arrow you can use to get best results safely. (In case that happens to be different than what Horton said.)

While Horton has gone under, that is a nice bow you have & I hope it gives you good service.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wyvern has helped me in the past. Here's my personal $.02 on selecting bolts, boraheads, etc. for use with a cross bow. I am coming from a bow hunting background of 50+ years. Cross bow hunting is relatively new to me. I carried over my philosophy on bow gear to the cross bow ... keep it low risk of issues and stay on the simple side.

I can see no real advantage in a hunting situation for going "light weight" when it comes to bolts or broad heads. Going too light stresses the limbs and can lead to damage ... even catastrophic failure.

Following a manufacturer's recommendation is a good way to go. To me if you are going to deviate from that spec, deviate to a heavier, stiffer bolt and a heavier broadhead.

These "modern" cross bolts launch a bolt at such high speed that the down range loss of a few percentages of velocity due to going "heavier" is of little consequence. I don't try shots past 50 yards anyway. So "flat shooting" is not an issue for me. I ahve target shot out to 100 yards. With a good rest and practice it was not much of a challenge to drop bolt after bolt into a "pie plate" size circle (except figuring windage in a cross wind !!) But I'd never try such a shot on medium game in the field ... though I did try a shot of about 70 yards on a coyote.

I use the bolt weight that Parker recommended for the cross bow model that I have. I use a 125 gr. , fixed blade broad head. I have had absolutely zero issues with the combination in any aspect ..... bolt flight, repetitive point of impact out to 60 yards, depth of penetration, blood trails, clean kills (which is the ultimate test) or managing the arc of 40-50 yard shots.

Guess I have been asleep ... I did not know that Horton folded.

I edited this .... I did find out that Horton was bought by Ten Point. The Ten Point founder was once a big time Parker guy. From what I gather the Parker brand cross bows will be back 2014 .... with the intent of great improvements in quality and engineering.

Last edited by Mojotex; 07-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not use an arrow lighter than recommended. The sight gain in speed won't compensate for the increased noise as well as wear and tear on bow...perhaps even a 'spontaneous unplanned disassemble.'