Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Hunting with cheap eBay $90 crossbow >

Hunting with cheap eBay $90 crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Hunting with cheap eBay $90 crossbow

Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Spike

Default Hunting with cheap eBay $90 crossbow

Has anyone ever used one of these generic brand crossbows to hunt with? I purchased one a few years back and am considering taking it out this coming bow season as I recently placed a cheap $20 red dot sight on it. I can hold consistant 4" groups at 35 yards so I am thinking this could work.

By the way, the seller was CeasarsPalace or something similar to that.

Thanks in advance and I will keep you posted what i decide to do/and any game taken!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck with your bow. Personally I wouldn't trust it one bit When you buy cheap, you get cheap Can't imagine it is dependable and quality made!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not give it a try? If the velocity is good enough to blow a broadhead equipped bolt through a deer at 30-35 yards, you can certainly clean kill one with it. But as OneBear said, it might not hold up all that well if it gets a lot of use ... and good luck with any service needed ! There are tons of these el-cheapo types out there. My expereicne is limited with low cost archery gear .... but I suspect that it was $90 for a reason.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Spike

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yea that is basically what I am thinking too. Probably limit my shots to around the 25 yard area since it isnt the fastest thing. I mainly just use it for fun target shooting at my place, but was thinking it could be effective with my 125 grain broadheads i bought for it. Ill try shootin with those and see how they effect accuracy/drop/speed/ the whole 9. Who knows it might be possible to have this thing effective and humane.

I will update how the small 16" bolts can handle the large head
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as it is fast enough, why not? Keeping your shots to 25 yards is a good idea. I had good luck in the past with a small, cheap Barnett RC-150. I think the arrow speed with that was around 250 fps or less. I took several nice deer with that x-bow, but it was limited in range to about 25 yards I found.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Spike

Yes this bow is rated at 220 fps so i am assuming with a 25 grain larger head i should only attain 200 tops. The drop gets crazy after 25 yards so we will see how it performs in the field.

I started target shooting with the broadheads and surprisingly only had to adjust the sight a few clicks at the 25 yard mark. Now it is time to practice, paractice, practice so I can not only be an effective hunter, but also recognize my limitations with this bow.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure to post yer kills n pics wid it this Fall