Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Longest shot ?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by awshucks
My limit is 35-40 yds, there's always tomorrow...........
Same here...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

40 is my furthest , 15 my closest. I prefer 20
Old 06-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My shots are dictated by the area i hunt in. So pickin out a set yardage isn't practical fer me. My place here allows shots from 5 yds to maybe 40 yds. Some spots on 2 stands i could get a clear shot out to about 54 yds. Thats abit fer for my Vixen, but my E'cet 200 could make the shot if'en i was huntin wid it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
My shots are dictated by the area i hunt in. So pickin out a set yardage isn't practical fer me. My place here allows shots from 5 yds to maybe 40 yds. Some spots on 2 stands i could get a clear shot out to about 54 yds. Thats abit fer for my Vixen, but my E'cet 200 could make the shot if'en i was huntin wid it.

My location is much like you say yours is.

One stand is 5-20yds, but also have others out to 60+yds. And the long reach ones will depend on wind a lot. Not going to shoot in more than a VERY light wind beyond 40yds. My Scorpyd offers the potential to reach out more than many, but can't still a real breeze.

From several of the responses I've had to this thread, others with much the same potential look at it much as I do. The farther it is past 40yds the more perfect the shot window must be.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shootin deer at longer ranges would be a personal choice. Only you knowed if'en you n yer crossbow will make the shot. If'en thar be any doubt on the shot call better to wait another day. I am not a rack hunter but will shoot deer wid racks. The rack size won't make me shoot if'en its too far or jus bad, i will jus pass on the deer. Tomorrow maybe a better shot never knowed
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Shootin deer at longer ranges would be a personal choice. Only you knowed if'en you n yer crossbow will make the shot. If'en thar be any doubt on the shot call better to wait another day. I am not a rack hunter but will shoot deer wid racks. The rack size won't make me shoot if'en its too far or jus bad, i will jus pass on the deer. Tomorrow maybe a better shot never knowed
I should have left out the part regarding rack size from the original post, but I know that DOES matter to many. For myself, I'm more a meat hunter by far than a rack hunter.

Back in the 70's I spent two years chasing a buck with a huge rack, passed on others to try'n get the big'en. Result was 2 yrs. of unfilled tags & buck was killed 2 weeks after season ended the second year by a VW bug. learned my lesson & have not done that again.

A good year to you friend!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by craig
My bow shoots 418fps with 420gr arrow, not the makers specs, from crony. I bought such a fast bow for just the reason you suggest, avoiding problems with wounded game. Given the ideal shot I suggested above I'd take the 50yd shot, given the shot you suggest with brush ect in the way........I agree, the range gets shorter & shorter depending on what the individual situation is.

I"m in farm country in the southern lower, so shots are more often open & completely clear here. I understand such a shot may be rare indeed in some other locations. Which is part of what I hope to see from all responding.

I also practice a lot at 30-70yds & sometimes a few @ 80yds.
You Would have to be shouting over 1000 FPS for a deer not to jump your string? The point is if deer is on alert don't shoot.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

yup...10-40yds...for me...anything else Im not comfortable with...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ask how fer & throw in the Big Buck thing! I will shoot to 40 yds regardless of sex of my meat deer. I preferr my deer so close i can watch it blink before i shoot!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I would shoot honestly up to 40-45 yards accurately to many varibles past 50 yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.