Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New York State back to square one... >

New York State back to square one...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New York State back to square one...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
dms
Spike

Here is part of what I read. I'll try and find the rest.

Monday evening word was released that the Governor has vetoed Assembly Bill 10583A. This bill would have continued crossbow use restricted to gun seasons and prevented the DEC from scheduling a youth gun hunt in the archery season. It was a compromise bill created late during the legislative session with some major flaws. I want to thank all sportsmen, our NYSCC members and all the other groups and their members for speaking up and letting the Governor’s office know their opinion. This upcoming legislative session is the time for permanent measures to be taken to see that the crossbow is classified as a legal hunting implement and to have the DEC determine where it should be used, which should include the archery season. We as sportsmen need to be vigilant and persistent to see that sound crossbow legislation is passed this year. Congratulations to all for now; and may we celebrate further in 2013. The need for all sportsmen to speak together was never more apparent or shown to be as successful as it was with the veto of this bill.

Let's see how this plays out. STM.

This was over on another site. I don't know if I'm allowed to say which site. I can PM you if you want it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scoobiedoo6559
DMS,
Sorry to hear that. As a RN - this has been MY argument to those tho hate xbows and don't want them legalized. many of us baby Boomers are getting older and have injuries, joint issues, etc. where we can no longer use vertical bows anymore - thus forcing people from being able to go bowhunting at all any more - which I think is very sad and unecessary at best...
just curious,
is Xbow allowed for elderly and or handicapped?
i havent seen the new regs,
understand no xbow season for all, but curious how they changed the elderly/handicap provision
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

NotMayName,
Crossbows are ONLY currently allowed in NYS for use with a mouth-activated 'Blow Tube' by someone totally paralyzed and with a Dr's note.

DMS - It will be mighty interesting to see how this plays out. I have had many discussions with NYS DEC Wildlife Biologist friends that I used to work with about this - and they were al 'Pro Crossbow' advocates and had NOT problem with it. Where THE problem has come in is with the NY Bowhunters organization

DMD - thanks but I do not need to know where that info came from - but thanks for sharing. I do hope our governor has the smarts to legalize it THIS year once and for all! NYS has been bickering back and forth over this for the last 30 yrs and it's a totally moot point IMHO!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by notmyname
just curious,
is Xbow allowed for elderly and or handicapped?
i havent seen the new regs,
understand no xbow season for all, but curious how they changed the elderly/handicap provision
PS They haven't changed anything with the elderly/handicapped criteria unless as I said - once is totally paralyzed.

Total BS...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Anyone have a link to this DEC form and requirements?
as i cant seem to find it online,
all my searches pretty much bring me to this page
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/74834.html

Hunters who are incapable of drawing, holding, and releasing a (vertical) longbow because of a permanent physical disability will continue to be allowed to take big game or small game by the use of a specially-equipped longbow. However, the new legislation replaces the former "Modified Archery Permit" with a new "Modified Longbow Authorization" allowing hunters with permanent or temporary physical disabilities to hunt both big game and small game in all hunting seasons. DEC has proposed that to qualify for this authorization, disabled hunters would need to carry afield while hunting, a standard department form, signed by their physician verifying that the hunter meets the qualifications established to use a longbow equipped with a mechanical device to hold and release the bowstring. The required form would be the only acceptable and valid form for verification of the medical condition of the hunter. The form would be available from any DEC wildlife office or from the DEC website. Disabled hunters would no longer have to apply for and obtain a special permit from DEC for this privilege.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

send me your email address by private message and I will send you bye PDF file the complete New York state rules and regulations Sportsmans handbook of laws, regulations, etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

thanks
thats what i was looking for

Modified Longbow Authorization
New legislation has repealed the ‘Modified
Archer Permit’ and replaced it with the ‘Modified
Longbow Authorization.’ This authorization
allows qualified sportsmen and sportswomen
to hunt big or small game with a bow that is
equipped with a mechanical device to hold it in
a drawn and cocked position. This authorization
does not allow the use of a crossbow.
To qualify for a Modified Longbow Authorization,
a sportsman must be permanently or
temporarily physically disabled and unable to
draw and hold a bow. For more information
write to the Special Licenses Unit or visit our
website, www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25018.html.
Modified Crossbow Permit
This permit allows qualified people to hunt big
or small game with a crossbow that has been
specifically modified with a device that only
allows it to be discharged (fired) by means of
a breath tube. This permit does not allow the
use of an unmodified crossbow.
To qualify for a Modified Crossbow Permit,
a person must be permanently physically
unable to hold or draw a legal bow or to fire a
legal bow that has been modified to hold and
release the string.
If a person can pull the trigger on a gun, he
or she will not qualify for a Modified Crossbow
Permit.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

That new change is such BS.....what a joke.
I feel that is such a travesty that someone has to be totally paralyzed to even be able to think of using a crossbow - yet every compound-toting hunter out in the woods can bolt anyhting on their compound bow and it's fair game - from lighted sight pins, to using releases, peeps, carbon arrows, mechanical broadheads, overdraws, shoot thru rests, lighted nocks, silencers, etc. - yet a guy or gal can't even use the crossbow! Complete poop as far as I am concerned!

Is that a load of dung or what?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scoobiedoo6559
That new change is such BS.....what a joke.
I feel that is such a travesty that someone has to be totally paralyzed to even be able to think of using a crossbow - yet every compound-toting hunter out in the woods can bolt anyhting on their compound bow and it's fair game - from lighted sight pins, to using releases, peeps, carbon arrows, mechanical broadheads, overdraws, shoot thru rests, lighted nocks, silencers, etc. - yet a guy or gal can't even use the crossbow! Complete poop as far as I am concerned!

Is that a load of dung or what?

i would agree,
these are handicapped we should be accommodating,
also for safety reasons,
if someone is shaky/barely able to hold a gun steady, wouldnt it be safer to have him out their with crossbow instead?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

That's right - and let's NOT forget those with shoulder and elbow issues, those aging, etc. I am a RN by trade and I can't tell you the number of people - Baby Boomers like myself or not that CAN'T do what they would like to do any longer because of joint issues, pain, loss of strength, etc.

NYS complains about declining sales of hunting licenses and that our next generation isn't taking up hunting any longer nor even taking part in outdoot activities andy longer - so what do they do? They go and place even MORE restriction(s) on how what REMAINING hunters hunt. Total crap when you look at other states like Ohio, Canada, etc that enjoy crossbow hunting in THEIR Special Archery Season(s) w/o any issues or problems. Total crap! I am totally disgusted with this state and their thought process!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.