Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Field tips for Bolts? >

Field tips for Bolts?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Field tips for Bolts?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Field tips for Bolts?

I hunt using a compound bow and have never used a Crossbow. I just recently bought my boy one but i'm curious to know if the bolts require a different type of field point or would any tip work such as the ones i use for my arrows. I shoot 100 grain but noticed that the tips that came with the bolts in this packaged deal are much larger and heavier. So i guess my real question is...do i have to purchase a special field tip for the bolts other than what I would buy for my arrows?

One last thing. The trigger seams to be a little stiff and if you consistantly put pressure on it, it may move a bit but not fire. When i'm shooting a rifle i just softly keep squeezing the trigger but this feels like i need to pull it quickly or it studders in a way if that makes any sense. When shooting a crossbow do you just pull the trigger and fire or squeeze it off? If the hesitation in the trigger is a problem can anyone advise how to make it smoother.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Spike

Answer the second one first. Trigger is holding alot of weight and not like a rifle. All crossbow triggers have some creap. They are not to be played with and rebuilt as rifle triggers can be. Maybe gummed up and you can spray it with WD-40 and other than that for saftey it is likely better to leave it alone.

You can use same points, broadheads as vertical, but generally crossbows like a little more weight forward. A 150 grain head is generally better than 100 grain. I run 100 grain heads but have 110 grain brass inserts infront. Check the manufactors weight minimum on arrows and don't go below that. All crossbows have a minimum weight of arrows.

Hope this helps

Last edited by wheelie; 12-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.