Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
1st purchase: Barnett or Ten Point? >

1st purchase: Barnett or Ten Point?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

1st purchase: Barnett or Ten Point?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Spike

Know nothing about 10 point but I have a Barnett C5. When it was 2 yrs old I had a problem with it and sent it back to Barnett. They sent me a brand new bow back in lest then 2 weeks from the time I mailed it. It was not an old leftover either, it had the new type trigger. That is not bad CS to me. In case you did not know Barnett was bought out by Wildgame Innovations and their CS and product quality is improving by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by Pronghorn48; 10-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for TenPoint.....
Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to bust anyone's bubble here .... but obviously a cross bow is a rather complex machine compared to either a compound, recurve or stick bow. I shot one or the other of these for 40+ years.

Cross bow draw weights are in the 150-175 pound range. Limbs are short, and stiff. There is a tremendous accelaration of the bolt on release to bring it to 300+/- fps as it leaves the rail. The serving can take a beating due to friction against the rail, even a properly lubricated one. Many have rather complex triggers with built in anti-dry fire provisions. Some have tried to incorporate nearly fool proof safeties. All this is to say that there is a lot of stuff that can go wrong with any make.

I have no personal expereince with any other than Ten Point and Parker. My Ten Point was a top of the line 2008 vintage. The string lock/anti-dryfire mechanism that holds the string at full draw failed and the bow fired unexpectedly. I escaped any serious injury but suffered a nasty bruised thumb because the cocking yoke hit it as it launched out into the air ! I was informed that a pin failed. Ten Point was super about the fix and sent me a brand new set-up within 3 days. But because of this fauilure I lost confidence and sold it. The purchaser has had it for 3 years and has had no issuses with it.

I replaced the Ten Point with a Parker Tornado. I have had zero problems with mine but ..... one of my best hunting buddy's liked mine so much that he bought one. After only about 30 shots both limbs split along what appears to be a lamination surface. ER was in the process of cocking the bow when the limbs failed. Oddly enough, both failed identically as far as we could tell ... and best ER could tell both failed simultaneously. Parker's service folksdid not respond at all to ER's 2 e-mails and 2 phone calls. Bass Pro, where ER bought the set-up, was able to provide ER with a replacement from Parker. Took about 10 days.

So .... stuff happens I guess.