Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
crossbow comparison help please? >

crossbow comparison help please?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow comparison help please?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Spike

Default crossbow comparison help please?

Hi guys,
First i want to thank you all in advance for any help I may recieve here, I have been hunting a long time but recently got the bug to crossbow hunt.
I am currently a stay at home dad so money is tight for me to waste on hunting gear, my wife wouldnt be happy if I blew $800 on a crossbow, so I have stashed away a couple hundred bucks. I am pretty much down to the Barnett RC-150 or the Horton Summit HD. Which is better and why? I can get the Barnett for $175 and the Horton for $225.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I strongly suggest you stay away from the Barnett. Horton is marginally Okay Better to look for a used Excal or Tenpoint or Wicked Ridge Buying something cheap just gets you cheap and in the short run it's a waste of money
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

horton is not a marginal company. they make great crossbows. if you are limited to those 2 get the horton. but if you can manage away a couple hundred more you will have a way better selection. horton, excalibur, tenpoint (6 point and wicked ridge are ten point owned) darton, carbon express all make great crossbows. dont forget to check ebay

Last edited by snapper1982; 08-31-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Spike

Ive been all over ebay for days, $200 is about my max, I almost bought an MK at first but figured I better do my research. I'll keep hunting one down, Horton looks pretty good to me, and there seem to be plenty of them in my price range.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

One option is to look at a "package" deal. Don't foprget that in addition to a bare X-Bow you will need bolts, broadheads, and probably a co*cing rope ... probably a carry case ... and a sight system if the X-Bow does not come with one mounted. I suspect that by the time you are done, you will be well into $400 at the least.

If at all possible go look at the models that you are considering. Fit and feel are going to be a big part of you being able to shoot comfortably and accurately.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Spike

Yeah the summit I'm looking at has a quiver, sights, 3 bolts, I have lots of broad heads, so I think that's definitely the best bang for the dead buck!!