Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Another newbe question? >

Another newbe question?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Another newbe question?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another newbe question?

Will limb savers our something else quieten down my crossbow.I shoot a Darton?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote is for something else, like a heavier arrow, won't fly off the limbs. Bill T, owner of Excal posted on their forum the limbsavers cost about 15 fps each, fwiw..........
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I really don't need them?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Spike

One of the Darton crossbows...the Serpert II...comes with Limbsavers. I know very little about Dartons, but if they're all split-limb, Bowjax might make a dampening kit for them. I know they make them for TenPoints - also split limb. They seem to make a significant difference when put on a TenPoint. Typically, things that are attached to the string cost you more speed than things attached to the limbs.

You will not be able to make your crossbow as quiet as a verttical compound, nor will you be able to make it quiet enough that the deer will not hear you shoot before the arrow gets there.....(the second part is just physics)...but any vibration/shock/noise you can take out of the equation is a good thing....even with the loss of a little speed.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friend a deer or hog don't care none about the shot noise. You shoot, you hit n kill them, noise only bothers you
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then I will just leave it as is and see how it works.Thanks for the information.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I thought my buck commander. Was loud....but ive dropped 3 deer last season and they never heard it comming
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

My Barnett is pretty loud, but it has no effect on the deer (if you're worried about them jumping the shot or something like that). The arrow travels so fast that it really doesn't matter.

I've downed 5 deer in the past 2 years with my "loud" crossbow. Never a problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Some crossbows are far louder than other Less expensive, cheaply made crossbows tend to be noisy Others like, Excal, TenPoint and Bowtec are less noisy The noise will only make a difference if the bow doesn't shoot fast, the deer is on high alert or the distance is too far.
You are up close and personal when you shoot and nthe deer is 20yds or more away If the deer is relaxed by the time the noise registers it is too late as the arrow had all ready gotten there
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OneBear
Some crossbows are far louder than other Less expensive, cheaply made crossbows tend to be noisy Others like, Excal, TenPoint and Bowtec are less noisy The noise will only make a difference if the bow doesn't shoot fast, the deer is on high alert or the distance is too far.
You are up close and personal when you shoot and nthe deer is 20yds or more away If the deer is relaxed by the time the noise registers it is too late as the arrow had all ready gotten there

good info there.