Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Help me decide

Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me decide

Just got an excalibur phoenix and ordered a case. Now i need to decide on a broadhead. Have narrowed it to 100 gr 1.75" shwackers and 100 gr 1.5" 3 blade rocket meat seekers. What you all think? Thanks!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the meat seekers last season with my Excal Vortex and really liked them. Shot a nice doe early in the season and the devastation the bh caused was unbelievable to say the least. I have used these mechanicals and also the NAP Spitfires. The NAP's are good, but the I think the Rockets cause as much or more damage and also give a better blood trail (although I didn't need to look far). I think the Rockets may fly a tad better but so close to the NAPS it's hard to say. Both are good and have the same POI as my field tips. I think I like the rear deploy blades and piston point style on the Rockets a little better. At any rate, I Just swap out the fieldpoint with a BH and am ready to hunt. The only "tuning" I have to do is initially figure out which is going to be the cock vane for each arrow and mark it, that's it. Very easy, I love it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have narrowed it to 100 gr 1.75" shwackers and 100 gr 1.5" 3 blade rocket meat seekers. What you all think? Thanks!!!
How did you come up w/ these two?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Slick tricks

Slick tricks work great for me.

Good luck, Stan
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stan00
Slick tricks work great for me.

Good luck, Stan
Lol, me too!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plane old ordinary unromantic Montec 125's. Fly great. Terrific penetration. Fail safe. Simple. Easy to resharpen. My kind of broadhead.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the same bow and found that 100 gr. was a little too light I could not group very good. I switched to 125 gr. Rage broad heads and they grouped beautiful.. shot four deer with this combo last year.. I'mnot saying you have to use Rage but I Would stick with a little heavier head with that bow. good luck you got the right start with you bow choice anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, it's not the xbow, but rather the arrow. If you got firebolts w/ your bow, they were designed for 150 gr Boltcutter bheads, if GT L II's [brass inserts] you can use anything that will group well for you. Firebolts, 125 gr, ya got's lucky!