Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Newbie going to choose a crossbow >

Newbie going to choose a crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newbie going to choose a crossbow

Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie going to choose a crossbow

Hi guys,
Thank you for all your advise. I found a store that stocks 5 different brands and has an archery range on the second floor and were more than willing to let me come and shoot as many as i want.
That being said is a tremendously fast speed a necessity and I will be hunting out of a box blind with 36x14" openings. This would seem to eliminate the "wide bows". Again open to suggestions.
daddus
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daddus1
Hi guys,
Thank you for all your advise. I found a store that stocks 5 different brands and has an archery range on the second floor and were more than willing to let me come and shoot as many as i want.
That being said is a tremendously fast speed a necessity and I will be hunting out of a box blind with 36x14" openings. This would seem to eliminate the "wide bows". Again open to suggestions.
daddus
I think you should have a chat with David Wilkins at Wyvern Creations.
http://www.wyverncreations.com/
There are endless choices. But the one that comes to mind is
http://www.wyverncreations.com/index...roducts_id=450
Personally I prefer the KISS principle and will stick to my Excaliburs or my Kodabow.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

remember the bows get wider when you shoot. Pick one that 'feels' good to you.

I recommend Horton as I've been hunting mine 12 years (15 whitetails, 1 mulie, 1 pronghorn, and lots of smaller game). no problems
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love my Excalibur Vortex....very low maintenance & I can do my own string changes in the field (if need be) without a press. There are also no cables, cams to wear out on a recurve. Also, they do not require the "tuning" that a compound does. Compounds may have their advantges, such as being narrower, and quieter. But I like the simplicity & reliabilty of my Excal. Not to mention it is extremely accurate.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had a Ten Point GT-Curve and loved it. However, I ended up selling it and going with the Horton Vision 175. I would go with either one and would be happy. but if you can shoot them at the store, have fun checking them out.

Just remember bows can be loud in the woods. That is why I went with the Horton Vision, it is supper quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Dnk
I think you should have a chat with David Wilkins at Wyvern Creations.
best advice you can get
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I hunt from a box or ground blind. I hunt mostly from a tree stand. I had to get used to the "width" of the cross bow. One of my best friends ruined a nice cross bow by not thinking about .... shattered the right hand limb because the wheel struck the window frame when he shot at a deer in the food plot. As far as bolt speed? From what I recall when I researched info prior to buying my cross bow, about every "middle" to "top of the line" cross bow sends a bolt of the rail at screaming velocities. Any of the quality cross bows should be plenty fast enough.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Spike

I like this store it has a lot of different crossbows for your money. The draw strengths are different on each one. http://astore.amazon.com/huntincabin-20