Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

He still walks

Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default He still walks

After passing on 4 deer, decided to do the deed last night. A nice "freezer buck" showed at 20 yards as if scheduled where I had hastily built my hide earlier in the day. The wind hadn't changed and was light, Ghillie suit working like a charm, even had the crossbow braced on a Horton Kneed Pod. Only problem was he didn't show where he was supposed to. A fallen tree branch was in the way but I figured I could sneak it through-now or never-picked a spot on the deer and let fly. Arrow literally exploded from hitting an unseen obstruction. A portion of the shaft and vanes lay where he had stood. The lighted nock had been propelled though the shaft from the force of the 350 fps bow propelled arrow hitting the obstruction and apparently scattered as parts into the woods (didn't light). No blood. I searched in the direction he had gone without hope. It didn't sound like a hit (sack of wet clothes being hit by a bat) and he ran only a short distance before stopping, looking back then walking, away.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's crazy. I was worried about my shot the other day. Similiar situation but Im sure I had a lot more clearance... just looked kinda tight from the stand. Good luck. Hopefully he'll come back around soon and you can get him.... from your description it does appear nothing hit him.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 11-03-2011 at 07:24 AM.