Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
help choosing a broadhead >

help choosing a broadhead

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

help choosing a broadhead

Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have been shooting 100g grim reapers and love them. They fly exactly like the field tips even robin hooded when I went from the field tip to the grim. I have taken 3 deer with them in the last 2 years and none of them have gone more than 50 yards. One of the bucks was a 5 1/2 y/o 6pt that dressed 160lbs. Found the bolt 40 yards past the deer after the complete pass thru. They cost about the same as most other high end heads at 40$ for 3 but you can find deals for them online. I shoot the slicks and muzzys with my compound and they fly great with it but out of my cross bow they were off about 6 inches at 20 yards. Thats why I decided to give the Grims a shot.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Rage 2 blade and they work great. they also mke a massive hole with easy tracking.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by rafsob
I have a Ten Point GT Curve and shoot a 125 three blade Muzzy and it works just great. Have taken four deer with it since I bought it a few years ago. I went with what Ten Point recommended and it shoots just fine.
I forgot I had this photo:

This was a great through and through shot.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used 125 gr. Mon-Tec broad heads since I starting using a X-Bow a few years back. As long as you stay within the specs of the Excaliber, and the 125's fly fine, I see no reason to go heavier.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought my crossbow last week and I have always used Montecs with my compound.I tried them with the crossbow and they are shooting great out to 40yards.I can't wait to try them next week.I just hope I get a shot.I love the fact they can be resharpened.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got the Axiom package, the scope ranges are for Firebolts and Boltcutter bheads. Your farther ranges will probably be off some w/ lighter bheads. Excal has a habit of testing new stuff up the wazoo.

You can get the Boltcutters from Danny Miller, USA warranty rep at [740] 483-2312. He also makes all of Excals strings for them and is cheapest anywhere on them.

Firebolts w/ Boltcutters have a FOC of 13%. Measure arrow w/ bhead on, mark middle, mark balance, it's 5% per inch diff. 22" arrows are 4.5% per inch diff, btw.