Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
ARIZONA Crossbow Laws??????????????????? >

ARIZONA Crossbow Laws???????????????????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

ARIZONA Crossbow Laws???????????????????

Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default ARIZONA Crossbow Laws???????????????????

Is it legal to own a crossbow in Phoenix, AZ (Maricopa county) if it's used for target practice and not hunting? Reason I'm asking is because Arizona Fish & Game put the crossbow in the same category as a rifle and only the handicapped are allowed to hunt with one but it requires a special permit. Now I'm wondering if I'm shooting targets in my front yard with my crossbow will I get busted for discharging a rifle within city limits? I've looked online but the laws are very vague when it comes to crossbows so does anyone know what's up with this?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Spike

The crossbow, to my knowledge, is not a firearm. I would think the law is worded in such a manner that it relates to the discharge of a firearm.

I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice but I would consult with one if I were you and I also wouldn't be suprised if there is an ordinance regarding archery in city limits.

Biker
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Spike

As far as AZ Game and Fish is concerned, crossbows are the same as firearms for hunting. They are fine for handicapped for archery season and anyone can use them during rifle season. I'm not sure about what the "discharge" laws are within city limits though.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Where I'm from the law states hunting with: firearm 450ft and bow 150ft. A guy was busted practicing in his back yard when the neighbor called the law on him. He got a misuse violation for not getting a written permission slip to shoot less than 150 ft from all dwelling(s) within that distance from the backstop.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Spike

Hate to correct you on this one, NJHeadhunter71....but the distance rules govern hunting, not target practice. Fish and Game has no jurisdiction in that scenario. Now the municipality in which this person lives....does have jurisdiction....and may have written him a citation based on a 'no discharge' ordinance.

Back to the topic....Savatreatabvr...your best bet is to check with your local law enforcement to see if a 'no discharge' ordinance applies. Typically, these state that you can not discharge a 'deadly weapon' within municipal limits. A crossbow qualifies as a deadly weapon.

Last edited by briarpatch; 08-03-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Spike

Default You can hunt with a crossbow in Arizona!!/ but what about target practice?

In attempt to debunk the largely misinformed internet (which is spreading lies about crossbows being limited to only handicapped individuals) I'm re posting my proof strait from AZGF That crossbows are in fact a legal form of take in Arizona!!!

You don't have to be disabled to legally use a crossbow!!!! I called Arizona game and fish personally to confirm I can use a crossbow for big game, small game, and snakes (not sure of other reptiles). Big game and the seasons are a little more complicated though. Big Game mostly requires a draw weight of 125 pound. However, some exceptions exist. The proof is below read carefully about big game. Its scattered all over the document by animal have fun!! Points of interest start on pg. 94 Section A Paragraph 7 Letter A / Section A Paragraph 8 Letter A and so forth.

proof: https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/f.../R12-4-304.pdf

I talked to the lead Game and fish investigator and he confirmed. Yes there is a crossbow application only for disabled people. However, this license only applies to using a crossbow during Archery only season. Hence this permit allows a disabled person to use a crossbow in archery (bow) only season, and also allows a bow assisting device, to accommodate their disability. That makes more sense than only disabled people being skilled enough to be the only ones to use a crossbow.

Proof: https://www.azgfd.com/license/speciallicense/crossbow

Furthermore, you can find the "legal methods of take list" on the same site in the 2016-2017 Arizona Hunting Regulations PDF Page 108.

Proof: https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/regulations/files

Crossbows are listed as allowed for a lot of things (big and small game). You must be careful of the season and species though, because sometimes they are not allowed. Basically no bison hunting or using a crossbow in archery only season, and again reptile’s I’m not sure of, but I got confirmation on snakes.

Also a tag is most likely required for big game, as well as a hunting license for any hunting anywhere in Arizona.

I would like to know the answer to target practice though. A sheriff stopped by and told me my practicing could be classified as "endangerment". I said we already finished hours ago and no one got hurt so can you really charge me for that? He said don't do it and left. Is he full of it?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen 1
I would like to know the answer to target practice though. A sheriff stopped by and told me my practicing could be classified as "endangerment". I said we already finished hours ago and no one got hurt so can you really charge me for that? He said don't do it and left. Is he full of it?
Another uninformed Leo!!! There are a bunch out there. I'm tired so I can tell you we are not lawyers and don't carry a state code book in our back pocket. When something like this would come up I would do my research. If I didn't know, I would tell you and get back to you.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 AM
Spike

I'm newbie, I also try hunting with crossbow. I'm looking for a good crossbow at https://hunthacks.com/, recommend me a crossbow. Thanks all!

Last edited by daniel14121976; 08-09-2017 at 07:20 PM.