Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
two quick questions on excalibur crossbow >

two quick questions on excalibur crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

two quick questions on excalibur crossbow

Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default two quick questions on excalibur crossbow

I bought my excalibur vortex lite stuff package a few weeks ago, and I am very happy with the quality of the product. Two quick questions:

1. If you shoot many times in a row (10 or more), do the limbs heat up or the string stretch, affecting accuracy?

I was sighting in this morning and the first three to four shots at 20 yds I would have damaged my bolts if I was shooting at the same dot on the target. After several more shots the groups started expanding; maybe I was just ****ing it inconsistently or something.

2. If you use the varizone scope, what yardage are the elevation dots on the reticle? I understand this will vary some depending on broadhead, arrow, etc.

I haven't had a chance to shoot beyond 20 yds yet, but with a zero at 20 yds I was hitting just a shade high at 10 yds. I am hoping the elevation dots on the reticle will correspond to about 30 and 40 yards.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a problem with limbs heating up. I think you are thinking in the right direction with the inconsistant ****ing of the xbow. The varizone scope must first be set to the speed of your xbow with the dial on the back, then the crosshairs start at 20 yards and go ten yard increments after that.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The limbs don't heat up etc, a new string can stretch but that wont affect overall accuracy much. Biggest causes of loss of inaccuracy: inconsistent ****ing (use a ****er rope if you're not), screws/bolts loosening up ('lock em in place with a dab of blue or purple LocTite), and flinching.
The VariZone's 'speed dial' just changes the scope's magnification, ergo, the distance between the dots on the reticule. The setting varies from bow to bow with weight of arrow and string. The setting number only roughly corresponds to the actual speed of the arrow. First sight in your bow, using the top dot, at 20 yards then, then use the next dot down at 30. If is hits high increase the number setting, that decreases the distance between dots, thereby flattens trajectory. If it hits low, decrease the setting. You can then try it at 40 etc with progressively lower dots. It's unlikely the settings will be right on at all distances except 20 yards. I set mine to hit right on at 20 and 40, knowing I'll have to 'fudge factor' 30 just a bit.
The trajectory of the arrow is somewhat affect by air temperature, humidity as well as it's weight, size of vanes and broadhead.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

Well I think I noticed yesterday that my limbs got quieter the more I shot or maybe I was imagining I never noticed shot placement being effected. I have my Exomag cross hairs set at 30 yards and each site under that is 5 yards. We thought it was 10 per but it worked better using them as 5 and I wouldn't shoot out past 50 anyways. Cross hair 10 to 30 is still in the bulls eye.
Dead Deer!

Treebeard
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've a slightly different opinion than Cossack, although he was spot on in most of his post.

The directions say to sight in at 20 w/ crosshair. That poi won't change w/ those arrows and string regardless of what you do w/ speed dial.

Next is 40 yds, the 2nd triangle below xhairs. Adj speed ring until that is on, then check 30 and 50. You may have to tweak speed ring, life will stay simpler if you leave the turret adj's alone. The closer you get to "perfect", the smaller the adjustments on speed ring. It can take some patience.

The upside down triangle above crosshair is 10 yds, and the two on horizontal hair are the leads for a walking deer at 20 or so yards.

I use pieces of electricians tape for sight in targets, one vertical and the other horizontal so I'm only working on one plane at a time.