Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Looking for some Broadheads. >

Looking for some Broadheads.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Looking for some Broadheads.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Spike

Default Looking for some Broadheads.

Hello all,
I'll keep this simple.

Crossbow: Excalibur Ibex

Target: Mule Deer

Question: What Broadhead(s) would you recommend?

Also I wanted to add, some people have been refering me to crimson talon broadheads, any input on those?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Montec 125 gr. These are a 3-blade design that flies great and is deadly. My X-Bow is rated to shoot 350 fps ... but I have never timed it. The broad head is a one piece design and requires sharpening if the edges are dulled. Takes only a few strokes on any quality flat surfaced sharpener. Not a replacable blade design. I have used these only on white tail and feral hogs.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mech. NAP Spitfire, fixed slick trick mag. & Montec G5 & Magnus Snuffer SS!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

What arrow? If GT L II w/ brass insert, 100gr Slick trick mags for me, quit looking once I tried them.

If Excal Firebolts, I'd try Excal 150 gr Boltcutters for FOC. I shoot the Gt's only, fwiw, but seems like there are lots of happy campers w/ previous.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I use Montec 125 gr. These are a 3-blade design that flies great and is deadly. My X-Bow is rated to shoot 350 fps ... but I have never timed it. The broad head is a one piece design and requires sharpening if the edges are dulled. Takes only a few strokes on any quality flat surfaced sharpener. Not a replacable blade design. I have used these only on white tail and feral hogs.
Mines rated at 305fps, My arrows are about 80 grains heavier than the ones they used to test the fps though.. So ballpark 300.

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Mech. NAP Spitfire, fixed slick trick mag. & Montec G5 & Magnus Snuffer SS!
Hmm, lots of options...what crossbow are you using?

Originally Posted by awshucks
What arrow? If GT L II w/ brass insert, 100gr Slick trick mags for me, quit looking once I tried them.

If Excal Firebolts, I'd try Excal 150 gr Boltcutters for FOC. I shoot the Gt's only, fwiw, but seems like there are lots of happy campers w/ previous.
Haven't bought all my arrows yet. Just bought a 12 pack of Easton Razer bolts for target shooting.

I'll have a look at the excalibur arrows and broads for sure though, once i buy that stuff, thanks for the input everybody.

Also one thing about the excalibur arrows, defiantly go for the carbon ones not the alumi's right?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also one thing about the excalibur arrows, defiantly go for the carbon ones not the alumi's right?
You'll probably find that answer 'six of one, half a dozen of the other, lol.

One thing about the Slicks, you can tune run out [wobble] via the instructions on the packages. Basically, you keep spinning the washer and rechecking. Slick's like higher FOC in my limited testing of them.

I first learned of them in my pre-computer days from Danny Miller, USA warranty rep in Oh, fwiw. I don't care for mechs or alum arrows, lol.

pm sent soon.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
You'll probably find that answer 'six of one, half a dozen of the other, lol.

One thing about the Slicks, you can tune run out [wobble] via the instructions on the packages. Basically, you keep spinning the washer and rechecking. Slick's like higher FOC in my limited testing of them.

I first learned of them in my pre-computer days from Danny Miller, USA warranty rep in Oh, fwiw. I don't care for mechs or alum arrows, lol.

pm sent soon.
Ok, I just bought the 12 pack of eastons for target shooting, my bro likes doing that too and they where only $3.80 each thought those would be better for target shooting since i don't want him busting a 10-15 buck arrow if/when he misses.

Anywho looks like i got all the info i need, thanks guys, also thanks awshucks for the pm. Was helpful.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have tried using two different arrows for practice and hunting with mixed results. Beeman Thunderbolt and my own GT Lazer II weigh about the same, fletched with the same vanes, aluminum nocks (albeit the GT has a threaded hile in it) yet fly to slightly different point of impact. Both brands fly consistently the same. Hmmm? Difference in spine make to blame?
As for broadheads, Slick Tricks std or mags for fixed, NAP Spitfires seem to fly best fro me. So much like field tips that I no longer practice with same, just check zero with 'heads when hunting starts.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cossack
Have tried using two different arrows for practice and hunting with mixed results. Beeman Thunderbolt and my own GT Lazer II weigh about the same, fletched with the same vanes, aluminum nocks (albeit the GT has a threaded hile in it) yet fly to slightly different point of impact. Both brands fly consistently the same. Hmmm? Difference in spine make to blame?
As for broadheads, Slick Tricks std or mags for fixed, NAP Spitfires seem to fly best fro me. So much like field tips that I no longer practice with same, just check zero with 'heads when hunting starts.
Yep, I think im going to go out and get a 6 pack of alumi excalibur arrows and a 6 pack of carbons, like awshucks said, as for broadheads i'll first look whats available, at the current places i've looked, which was walmart(lol) and a local hunting store, walmart has crimson talons and the hunting store had excalibur boltcutters and excalibur mechs.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

excalibur (easton) firebolts and nap spitfire 125gr mbh...
my family's stats last season...
11 shot... and 11 recovered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.