Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Real Bows

Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Spike

Default Real Bows

I was checking with some of the local archery shops for Gold Tip Shafts today. I called the one I normally deal with and they didn't carry them then I called a new one.

I asked for the Laser II and he said.."No, that's for a cross bow. We only deal with real bows."

Guess who won't be getting any more calls from me?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by peter nap
I was checking with some of the local archery shops for Gold Tip Shafts today. I called the one I normally deal with and they didn't carry them then I called a new one.

I asked for the Laser II and he said.."No, that's for a cross bow. We only deal with real bows."

Guess who won't be getting any more calls from me?
I HEAR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REAL BOWS ???
TELL'UM... LETS SHOOT FOR PICK SLIPS

Last edited by gendoc; 05-28-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

What a putz!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

This attitude is poorly founded. I too would avoid that business like the plague.

I cannot imagine anyone any more an avid "bow man" than me. Started before I turned 14 way back in the fall of 1962. Started out with a Ben Pearson straight bow. Went to a Shakespeare recurve. Transitoned to a Bear compound when some of my upper body strength ebbed. Moved up to an SQ-2 several years back. Switched to a Ten Point x-bow after blowing up a bicep in 2007. Hunted with a cross bow since.

Am I still a "real archery hunter"? I say yes .... because though I do not have to make or hold the pressure of a "draw" (heck, I can't !), a crossbow presents me a whole different set of challenges. I find it heavy and awkward. Setting up where there is enough L-R clearance for the the crossbow's limb width must be closely considered. My cross bow is substantially louder than any compound I ahve ever had and a ton louder than my old stick or recurve. Though I have not missed a deer as of yet, for sure if I had there would not have been a chance in Hades for a second shot. I have found no increase in effective kill range, other than with a good rest I can stay very steady on the target.

Will I go back to my compound when and if my bicep heals enough so that the intense pain I feel at full draw is gone? Yes. However, it is still nice to know that here in Alabama I do not have to forego "real archery" season simply because I cannot manage a "real bow".