Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Best crossbow for the money >

Best crossbow for the money

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Best crossbow for the money

Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best crossbow for the money

I have hunted with a compound for about 8 years and am seriously considering swithching to a crossbow since they have been legalized. I want good quality and would not mind spending $400-$600.

I am wondering what brands to you veteran crossbow hunters think are the best.

Also, are there any that should be avoided?

thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Avoid Barnett and all the Chinese made bowssold via the Internet. A Ten point, Excal or Ten Point Wicked Ridge cross bow will do everything you want and will last forever,
Go to a store and shoot different models of each and see which one fits you the best and which one feels the best to you. Both manufacturers have crossbows in your price range and both have lifetime warranties.

A telephone call to David Wilkins at Wyvern Creations will be the best time you could spend to get the honest and straight forward facts! 603-659-0575
Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2!!!!!Good advice!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

After some research here and elsewhere, I chose an Excalibur Phoenix Lite package from here:

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Excalib...0_p_10920.html

This is $120 cheaper than cabelas sells it for. Just got it, so I will let you know how it works out.

I don't feel like I gave anything up getting a recurve rather than a compound. In the field, if I ever break/cut a string, just slap another one one and go back to shooting.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
After some research here and elsewhere, I chose an Excalibur Phoenix Lite package from here:

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Excalib...0_p_10920.html

This is $120 cheaper than cabelas sells it for. Just got it, so I will let you know how it works out.

I don't feel like I gave anything up getting a recurve rather than a compound. In the field, if I ever break/cut a string, just slap another one one and go back to shooting.
From another Excal fan, it helps some if your spare string has been broken in and carried w/ end loops 'twistie' tied together. New strings tend to creep [stretch] a bit and that can change poi a tad.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good tip! Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

I would also add the Parker line to the mix. I have the Buckbuster 175 and it's been an awesome bow for me. Accuracy is astounding and it's very fast.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

From another Excal owner....congratulations!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I think you need to go to a store that has a large selection and try some different ones on for size. There are ample choices out there. For example, while some here badmouth the Barnett bows, I have a Barnett Quad 400 that I absolutely love--and it came with a mechanical crank in the handle for $329 (on sale). I've shot two deer with it this fall and it works GREAT.

Is it the best for you? I don't know. But don't disregard the brand before checking it out yourself.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Spike

another vote for parker, i got a enforcer and love it. i bought mine from david at wyvern. i had not a clue what arrows, broadheads, etc to buy. left that up to david. he knows his stuff. had mine shooting dead on at thirty yards the first day.
good luck whatever you end up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.