Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Leupold Var-XIII bites the dust. >

Leupold Var-XIII bites the dust.

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Leupold Var-XIII bites the dust.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Leupold Var-XIII bites the dust.

I had heard crossbows were hard on rifle scopes. I had a Leupold Var-XIII 1.5x6x32 bite the dust. I had about 200 shot on the crossbow with this scope. My groups at 50 yards started opening up to 5-6 inches and going left. Groups keep growing and moving left. Checked mount and rings everything tight. Place the Tenpoint scope back on and went back to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Crossbow is a TenPoint Elite about three years old. I wish someone made a good crossbow scope that would pickup light as good as a Leupold VXIII or Bushnell 4200. The TenPoint scope does great for ranges but sucks in low light.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Spike

Take a look at Hawke XB30 or the Parker Pin Point made by Hawke. Very good optics ... and I'm pretty demanding of optics.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very strange to hear this about a Leupold...send it back, it will be fixed for FREE
Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP View Post
Very strange to hear this about a Leupold...send it back, it will be fixed for FREE
X2, have lots and lots of shots on a VXII w/ no problems. Stuff happens.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

air rifles throw recoil differently. thats why they can trash a riflescope unless fixed for the different recoil. i wonder if xbows are the same.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Crossbow scope are rifle scopes with a different parallax and reticles. Other than that they are have the same construction. A failed Leupold is a true rarity. I've been using VXIIIs on my crossbows for years with no issues whatsoever. There is a lifetime warranty, contact Leupold and have the scope repaired. The recoil from a crossbow is rear ward and insignificant by comparison to my 12 gauge slug gun, 300 win mag or 454 Freedom Arms.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
air rifles throw recoil differently. thats why they can trash a riflescope unless fixed for the different recoil. i wonder if xbows are the same.
My Diana 350 wears a Burris Fullfield II. It's rear ward recoil is harsh enough that someone got scope cut from it. I've shot it several hundred times with on issues at all.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

vary rare for leupold to go bad.i drop a leupold dont 10 steps on a crossbow. it really hit hard. bro the adj cap and bent the adjustment.

still works.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dnk View Post
Crossbow scope are rifle scopes with a different parallax and reticles. Other than that they are have the same construction. .
the way it was explained to me is that an air rifle recoils in the opposite direction. a rifle scope is designed and pinned for one direction. thats why air rifles can trash a rifle scope. at least thats what i was told. The differences are hardly visible to the eye. The internal lens suspension system on Air Rifle Scopes are designed differently. The frames/brackets that hold the multiple internal lenses in place are much lighter in weight and are designed for the shock of the Air Rifle being directed FORWARD and not backwards as on a real rifle that fires bullets/cartridges. Many Airguns are powered by a forward moving piston that when fired, this air piston moves forward with great force and that in turn is what forces the Pelletís or BBís forward, towards their intended target. This forward shock to the Air Rifle scope is substantial so the scope must be designed to handle this sudden,hard FORWARD motion.
The conventional Rifle Scope is quite the opposite. Itís internal lenses support system is much heavier than that of an Air Rifle , because the sudden recoil of a gun is focused REARWARD..the OPPOSITE direction of an Air Rifle Scope.
Simply put the Air Rifle Scope is designed/manufactured the exact opposite of a Regular Rifle Scope, because the direction of shocks are in DIFFERENT directions.

Last edited by liquidorange; 08-17-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Spike

never had leupold fail me but will fix for free.you must have got a bad one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.