Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Horton Legend XL175 >

Horton Legend XL175

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton Legend XL175

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default Horton Legend XL175

I just bought a used Horton Legend XL175 that is like new having less than 20 shots fired. I bought it from a relative, who bought it new and shortly afterwards had a stroke. It was the package with the multireticle scope. It seems to be a very nice bow. I hunted with and old Jennings Devastator for over 10 years. Being a disabled Vietnam Vet my money is pretty tight. Got the Horton for $200 and it's a real step up from the old Jennings and much nicer than anything I exspected to get for that kind of money. That old Jennings is deadly accurate but both heavy and bulky. I know there are probably better bows out there but can't buy them if you can't afford them. lol I am really looking forward to Archery Season. I live in Missouri but have a lifetime permit for an xbow. I'm Cherokee and grew up shooting a bow. I truly miss a regular bow but a crossbow keeps me in the woods. I hunt with my son and that goes a long way in keeping this old warrior breathing. So anyone have any exsperience with the Horton Legend XL175?

Last edited by Spirithawk; 05-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

take it to shop and have expert check limbs for cracks. no cracks,you got a great deal...........
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

congrats on your purchase.....you did indeed get a good buy.....excellent advice to have it checked out by a pro....
I've never used one...but Horton makes a solid product.....

by the way....thank you for your service to this country
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Spike

Thanks guys I really apreciate your responses. I was begining to think nobodied ever heard of one. lol I'm taking it to my local archery shop to have the string replaced so I'll have the Pro look it over good. I shot it a couple times and man does it ever zing them. Way quieter too and has built in silencers.

Also, I want to thank you for caring Briarpatch. It means a lot to me.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you have splits they will be up on front near bolts.lets keep our fingers crossed that its ok.i had to replace mine and never knew it was split.

when they were putting on string they found them.

i only shot bow say 20 times but a dry fire must of hurt it or just time.they told me just sitting over years will split the limbs. mine is 1999 horton 175 and i found splits in 2006.
but i like bow,i dont hunt with it just shoot apples off my dogs head with it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Spike

Looking it over good I don't see any but I'll still have a pro look it over. The good news is I read that the limbs have a life time warrenty.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

mine did not have warranty over 3 yrs.thats great on yours.you have to put light on the camo near bolts where your foot goes in stirrup.that is where the splits start.

most likely yours is not split, mine was older and they do split from being strung for years or dry fire etc.
but have it checked when you have new string put on.great deal you got .everyone is unloading their crossbows in my area do to now you can use in-line in archery season.
most hortons go for 250 used with 6 arrows.2 years ago it was over 300 used.in-lines are what most are buying now........
Old 05-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Spike

I'm not really sure about the warranty. Just something I read somewhere. My son talked to a guy at a local hardware store and was told they use to sell them for a bit over $600. I just really love the looks and feel of the bow, not to mention the built in silencers and steel tips on the ends of the limbs where the cams mount. Seems to be really well thought out and designed. the Forearm exstention keeps your fingers well away from the string too. I did recently find this info on an old Cabela's add;

The Legend XL 175, finished beautifully in Skyline’s Excel camouflage, features Horton’s all new SpeedMax Hybrid Cable System. This new system combines the best of both worlds, durable, non-stretch steel cables teamed with micro-tunable synthetic yokes. Synthetic yokes allow for micro-timing adjustments while reducing bow tip weight for increased speed. The XL 175 features ToughBoy wide-body limbs, steel external axle limb tips, precision metal riser with Horton’s all new SoundStopper Riser Pads. The new, feels great, looks great Legend XL 175 delivers 316 f.p.s. with a 175-pound draw-weight.

The XL 175 as crossbow only features a peep and pin sight system. As a package the Legend XL 175 also includes: Hunter Mult-A-Range 4X32 Scope, 7/8-inch dovetail, one inch premium steel scope rings, Hunter Elite 4-arrow quiver, 4-Carbon Strike arrows and 4-practice points.

Last edited by Spirithawk; 05-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.