Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Best Crossbow for left handed disabled hunter >

Best Crossbow for left handed disabled hunter

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Best Crossbow for left handed disabled hunter

Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default Best Crossbow for left handed disabled hunter

I am new to archery and hunting but I have done firearm target shooting in the past. One of my parishioners wants me to go deer hunting with him next season during archery season.

I have partial paralysis on my right side, so I am not able to use a standard bow but should be able use a crossbow.

Any suggestions for someone who is left handed and has partial paralysis on the right side? The right side is weaker with no fine motor skills but I do have gross motor skills on the right side.

My thoughts are a lighter weight bow with good balance and a safety that is easy to use with the left hand.

I have done some research on-line and I was thinking of something like the Excalibur Vixen II. I don't have any archery shops in my area so before I travel two hours to look at crossbows I want to have some ideas in mind.

Any suggestions

thanks for help.

Fr. Robert
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 10 yr old can **** his Vixen after a short struggle/learning curve. The rope c0cker reduces the effort by 50%. Give Danny Miller, USA warranty rep a call at [740] 483-2312, he may have a deal you like. Good luck!!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

i would go with an Excalibur, they are very light weight compared to an xbow with cams
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

At least a couple of guys at the Excalibur forum are in similar situations. A friend has nerve damage on his left side and c0cks and shoots his 175 lb bow and shoots it with no problems. I suggest you go to the forum and ask how everyone handles the curves in the road.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...wforum.php?f=1
Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

vixen would be my 1st choice phoenix my 2nd & Ibex my 3rd. Reason is the 1st 2 have easier safety flipping than the 3rd. All great lightweight CB's.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Spike

Thank you everyone for the great information. I tried to call Danny Miller but he is out of town. I will try to again next week.

Thanks again.

Fr. Robert
Old 04-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have an Excalibur Exomag which has a 200lb pull but Danny Miller installed and Accudraw on it so all I have to do is use my 3.6volt cordless drill to pull the string back and I'm good to go. It's like a winch that will make c00cking the bow very easy. The only drawback is it adds a little weight to the bow.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another option?

While I agree with the recommendations for a lighter pull weight recurve, there is a device on the market that enables one handed shooting of a conventional bow. I've even seen a vidio of a one armed person shooting a bow with same (he releases the trigger with his teeth).
http://www.drawloc.com/