Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow range

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Spike

Default crossbow range

just to add to my earlier post about being new to crossbows

whats a crossbows effective range?? i know quarrle wt..draw strength..head grains..etc..would be a factor just like in compounds..

just wondering if they do shoot farther..effectively..than compounds like i have been told.

thanks..wolfman
Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

No they dont shoot farther,and they are arrows,and that will
determine the speed,vanes,feathers,broadhead,etc.You will be
shooting max,35/40 yards,and with a good scope you can shoot
some great groups,would advise spreading them around or you will tearing up arrows and that can cost you a few bucks!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 AM
Spike

My opinion is that there is not really any difference in effective range between a compound bow or a crossbow.
Years ago when I took the International Bow Hunter course. The 1 thing that I'm reminded of every time I pull up bow is, "less than 21 yards 80% of the deer where recovered in less than 100 yards, 26 yards or more 80% of the deer are recovered greater than 100 yards".
You can read about LUCKY shots over 40 yards with either a compound bow or a crossbow but they never ever say how many deer they have wounded, never found and left for the coyotes shooting at those ranges.
Fun to practice at longer 40+ yard ranges, improves your in range shooting accuracy, but I'll never shoot at an animal at those extreme bow distances.

Czy Horse
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, starting speed being relatively equal, the arrow from a vertical bow will fly further and have a flatter trajectory due to it's much greater ballistic coefficiency. Crossbow arrows fall to earth sooner because they are heavier and shorter (i.e. lower ballistic coefficient).
Each archer should establish and comply with a personal ethical shooting distance, based on both their proficiency with the bow they are using and the target involved. My outside shoot-to distance on deer is 40 yards, generally speaking its well under 25 yrds.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with the shorter range, the better. The couple long range shots (30+ yards) I've attempted with the x-bow ended up with a miss or a wounded deer. Keep in mind, I had practiced regularly out to 40 yards and could place my arrows accurately at that range. But a couple times of attempting those longer shots made me change my mind.

Anymore, I make about 25 yards my maximum range for deer. Past that you get in to a whole lot of problems regarding arrow flight time, deer jumping the string, range estimation errors, etc. Sure, people can get lucky - I took a turkey with my x-bow at 37 yards cleanly, but looking back I see that was probably the exception rather than the rule. IMO, in most circumstances, X-bows should have less of a range than a quality compound because of the noise factor. A well-designed compound is going to be far, far quieter than a x-bow. This makes it less likely for deer to jump the string. Every crossbow that I've ever shot is pretty loud, and deer tend to jump, duck, turn, etc. at the sound- this problem is magnified at longer ranges. That's why I keep it short....
Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike

I have been forced to shoot also with a crossbow and shoot a Excaliber. I keep my shots the same as i did with compound bows and most are 20 yds or under. They shoot no farther than compounds in my opinion despite what some say. You could take a 30 yd shot or more but not ethical for me. Try one and see how comfortable you are with it. They are clumbsy as the limbs are horizontal and have to have clearance from obsticles. Would much rather hunt with traditional or compound but you do what you have to do to keep hunting. good luck
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default shooter

It depends to a degree on the person pulling the trigger, but not as far as some think. Depending on many things about 40-60 yards. Buckeyefootball
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Spike

I'm new to crossbows too. I'll stay this side of 20 yards, let them walk there will be another day. I started hunting with a crossbow about three weeks ago and happy to say I took a 8 point the first time out, 22 yards and guess what? He made a turn before the arrow hit him but lucky for me in the trun the arrow went in behind his ribs and came out behind his front leg, got lung on the way. So its 20 yards for me!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckeyefootball
It depends to a degree on the person pulling the trigger, but not as far as some think. Depending on many things about 40-60 yards. Buckeyefootball
Thats way to far out to shoot at a deer,35/40 max just
to be fair to the animal!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

How fast can a deer move ? Well i can tell you 1st hand how fast they can move. I had a great broadside shot on a 160 10 pt this yr. 35 yds max. At the moment i pullet the trigger the Buck slung his head around to lick at his right shoulder. My arrow hit his left main beam & glanced off into the woods somewhere. Were talking nano second here & my arrow was GT II with alum. front insert & slick 100 gr mag 345 gr total & it ain't no slouch at that distance. The Buck Buck jumped then shook his head trotted off up the ridge. I was donw in the dumps & haven't recovered. I haven't hunting in over 2 weeks because of that. So 40-60 yds is the going distance ? I doubt it maybe 35 yds on a good luck day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.