Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Excalibur Phoenix VS TenPoint Titan HLX >

Excalibur Phoenix VS TenPoint Titan HLX

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Phoenix VS TenPoint Titan HLX

Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Excalibur Phoenix VS TenPoint Titan HLX

Im getting an crossbow for christmas and I pretty much have it down to an excal or an tenpoint. I want to know the main difference between an recurve and an cam, do i have to unstring the excalibur when im not hunting?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sniper65
Im getting an crossbow for christmas and I pretty much have it down to an excal or an tenpoint. I want to know the main difference between an recurve and an cam, do i have to unstring the excalibur when im not hunting?
Just so happened you're talking about my favorite bow. The Phoenix is wider than the TP but much simpler and hassle free. You don't have to unstring either but you can let down the Excal with a simple rope ****er when finished hunting, instead of shooting an arrow at a stump or target. And you can change strings to reserve without using a press, just use a simple stringer. There are no cams, no cables to replace, much less a cable slide.
Of the three I own, including one fast compound, the Phonex is the bow I usually pick up to hunt with. Simple to maintain, easy to **** and un**** and accurate to a fault. And at around 300 fps it's much easier on strings, arrows and target, yet has more than enough umpf for most NA game.
Perhaps this will convince you: " Once again Excalibur proves its industry leading accuracy by winning all three legs of this years IBO Triple Crown 3D championship. Excalibur shooter Kenny Barr also won the prestigious Worlds 3D Championship. In all of the first 3 legs Excalibur topped the charts with 3 of the top 4 shooting Excalibur crossbows. Leg 1 was won by Roy Meditz shooting an Excalibur, Leg 2 was also won by Roy Meditz. Leg 3 was won by Tim Tasker shooting an Excalibur crossbow."

BTW, check out the Ibex, same great bow but with a neat thumbhole stock.

Last edited by Cossack; 12-02-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cossack
Just so happened you're talking about my favorite bow. The Phoenix is wider than the TP but much simpler and hassle free. You don't have to unstring either but you can let down the Excal with a simple rope ****er when finished hunting, instead of shooting an arrow at a stump or target. And you can change strings to reserve without using a press, just use a simple stringer. There are no cams, no cables to relpace, puch less a cabale slide.
Of the three I own, including one fast compound, the Phonex is the bow I usually pick up to hunt with. Simple to maintain, easy to **** and un**** and accurate to a fault. And at around 300 fps it's much easier on strings, arrows and target, yet has more than enough umpf for most NA game.
Perhaps this will convinve you: " Once again Excalibur proves its industry leading accuracy by winning all three legs of this years IBO Triple Crown 3D championship. Excalibur shooter Kenny Barr also won the prestigious Worlds 3D Championship. In all of the first 3 legs Excalibur topped the charts with 3 of the top 4 shooting Excalibur crossbows. Leg 1 was won by Roy Meditz shooting an Excalibur, Leg 2 was also won by Roy Meditz. Leg 3 was won by Tim Tasker shooting an Excalibur crossbow."

BTW, check out the Ibex, same great bow but with a neat thumbhole stock.
how the heck are you gonna beat that!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Spike

Quote from Bill Troubridge owner of Excalibur, from the Excalibur forum

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 pm Post subject:
After decades of dealing with tens of thousands of crossbows I am of the opinion that it's marginally better to unstring at least between seasons, but I'm too lazy to bother fooling with the string and taking off the dissipator pads. I don't believe in the "do as I say, not as I do" system of advise, so our official policy is that you don't need to unstring as long as the bow is not stored in a very hot environment. Please note however that a short stay inside a closed vehicle parked in the sun during the summer can destroy a set of strung limbs.

Quoting myself
For the long term crossbow success and enjoyment
-I would stay away from the wheels and cables. May have problems sourcing cables after a few years.
-You need a press to change strings/cables on most compound crossbows. Hard to do field changes if required
-More mechanical moving parts to fail over time.
-Check length of warranty, Check country of origin
-Check your game laws for specific requirements, lenght of draw. poundage etc
-Be practical, don't get caught up in the "Cool" factor
-Last but not least -Don't buy until you try if shop won't let you shoot it, go some where else.

I'm biased though, I have a 150 lb recurve crossbow bought new 21+ years ago. Lots of hunting with just string changes over the years. It broke the front leg of one deer as the arrow exited the deer, never found the arrow. I would recommend anyone of the Excalibur bows, I just bought a 2009 Exocet 200 and am quite happy with it, son is getting old enough to hunt, hes going start buy using the old dependable 21+ year old Wolverine.

Czy Horse
Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Spike

We have both (Ibex and HLX) in our family. Both have advantages but I heard the HLX owner say "Shoulda bought an Excalibur" more than once.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Spike

Ive been under the assumption that my tenpoint is the best there is great performance, great customer service, great manuverability while hunting and most of all great bang for the buck, shooting a 425 grain bolt my hlx shoots 308 fps, i dont think a recurve can match that.Excalibur's are great but dont overlook a T.P. they are awesome crossbows, no "wishing" i bought anything else...............
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Spike

im with speedball on this one. i work in a sports shop that sells crossbows and the ten point is the preferred x-bow, and on top of that, the HLX is the top seller. the ten point has excellent customer service and the limbs are guaranteed for life. the advantage to the ten point is that its assisted drawing mechanism is in the butt stock. that means nothing to forget at home. i will admit, the only draw back to the HLX is that compound x-bows are noisier than recurves, but the compounds tend to be faster. a solution to this problem is ten points silencing kit. but the ball is in your court, and i can guarantee you wont be disappointed with either
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

X3
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

I shoot a Ten Point GT Curve and the HLX. One could not ask for better performance with either. I have not shot any Excaliber products, but based on testimoney from many users they seem to be first rate also.
As with many products today, if you have an opportunity to try both brands you will be better able to decide what works best for you! A decision between either of these brands will be a winner I am sure!
For me, I am not gonna try to fix or improve on something that I am totally satisfied with--- and that is Ten Point!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by radebaugh03
I shoot a Ten Point GT Curve and the HLX. One could not ask for better performance with either. I have not shot any Excaliber products, but based on testimoney from many users they seem to be first rate also.
As with many products today, if you have an opportunity to try both brands you will be better able to decide what works best for you! A decision between either of these brands will be a winner I am sure!
For me, I am not gonna try to fix or improve on something that I am totally satisfied with--- and that is Ten Point!
I shoot a GT Curve and a Defender CLS and agree with you
whole heartly,I love my Ten Points!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.