Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Im in the Vortex club! >

Im in the Vortex club!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Im in the Vortex club!

Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Im in the Vortex club!

im a proud owner! had a deal i couldnt pass up. now i need some toys to go with it or not? anyone recommend the STS stopper for this crossbow. also i see they make 3 different type material strings for this bow. dacron? fast flight? pro=s cons- ? it came with 100 grain wasp heads . is 100 grain a good start. i got some magnus stingers in 100 and 125. i guess i need a target block or will a bag work .
Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the club. Mine shoots great, easy to take care of, more than enough energy for NoAa game.
Im using fast flight Flemish strings on mine. They are stronger, faster and a tad quieter. Get a rope ****er if you don't already have one. It helps to center the string shot to shot, better accuracy.
Develop a strict shooting protocol to prevent dryfires, which can ruin your bow: 1) **** the bow 2) engage safety 3) pick up bow, etc.
Do it EVERY TIME so it becomes a habit, that way you won't forget to put the safety on when distracted. 100 g heads work great in mine, when coupled with a high FOC arrow with small vanes: Gold Tip Lazer II shaft, 110g brass insert and 2" Blazers, with a fixed, 4-bladed, low profile (short) head. I particular like Slick Tricks.
STS system reduces vibration somewhat but don't expect it to make your bow quiet. I've made my own for all my bows and use them primarily to protect the bow in case of dryfire.

Last edited by Cossack; 12-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on getting a great CB
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I highly recommend the STS for your bow. Other than reducing the possibility of limb damage from a dry-fire it will also lower noise and shock. Best place is David Wilkins (Wyvern) if you are in the US. Stick with the string that came with the bow(Dacron) for at least 6 months of shooting. Get a couple more and make sure the center serving is black.
You bought a great bow, enjoy!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok. its been a couple weeks since purchase. shot it a couple times and took it hunting today. now for some first time impressions. it carries way different than a compound. you have to re-think going through brush and over grown trails a little different. this thing is a beast with ****ing. i couldnt imagine not having the string puller. i bought a CLAW- crossbow sling. the pre molded stud on the buttstock of the crossbow makes the sling swivel clink and clank against the plastic stock. i wish they would have gone with a real gun sling stud like the front.im gonna have to tape it up or use mole skin. the pull length is way short for me. a little better with winter cloths. i bought the stock add on kit but this is gonna add weight so i might just put up with the short stock. the forearm is flat and blocky. it could be a a little thinner or provide better hand grips. the forearm makes it nice to shoot off a table but i dont think it needs to be that wide. the fat hand grip makes handling in the stand kinda awkward but im sure ill get use to it. the safety is located a little too far away for me but i guess its for a a reason. it also seems to engage on and off a little too easy. going to my stand the button was pushed to the off going through some brush. is there a way to tighten this?. i did get lucky with the new rings i put on it. the ones that came with it (excaliber brand?) are kinda cheap and wouldnt trust them in the long run. since i had a better set i threw them on without a change in point of accuracy. all in all im hooked. im gonna also change the varizone out on it at some point but it works fine. im happy to finally get out hunting with it.

Last edited by liquidorange; 01-01-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liquidorange
ok. its been a couple weeks since purchase. shot it a couple times and took it hunting today. now for some first time impressions. it carries way different than a compound. you have to re-think going through brush and over grown trails a little different. this thing is a beast with ****ing. i couldnt imagine not having the string puller. i bought a CLAW- crossbow sling. the pre molded stud on the buttstock of the crossbow makes the sling swivel clink and clank against the plastic stock. i wish they would have gone with a real gun sling stud like the front.im gonna have to tape it up or use mole skin. the pull length is way short for me. a little better with winter cloths. i bought the stock add on kit but this is gonna add weight so i might just put up with the short stock. the forearm is flat and blocky. it could be a a little thinner or provide better hand grips. the forearm makes it nice to shoot off a table but i dont think it needs to be that wide. the fat hand grip makes handling in the stand kinda awkward but im sure ill get use to it. the safety is located a little too far away for me but i guess its for a a reason. it also seems to engage on and off a little too easy. going to my stand the button was pushed to the off going through some brush. is there a way to tighten this?. i did get lucky with the new rings i put on it. the ones that came with it (excaliber brand?) are kinda cheap and wouldnt trust them in the long run. since i had a better set i threw them on without a change in point of accuracy. all in all im hooked. im gonna also change the varizone out on it at some point but it works fine. im happy to finally get out hunting with it.
I'm not fond of the thumbholes for the long reach for the safety. I've seen pics of Bill T, co-owner, carrying his w/ stock on shoulder, limbs in front, vertically. Seems to work well in brush for me, but I don't get out as much any more.

The safety is held either on or off by a ball detent inside the trigger box. Were I you, I'd wait til season closes, call Danny Miller at [740] 483-2312, and possibly send him the trigger box or whole rail assy to check and/or tweak for you. Hard to keep those rascals in place, on or off w/o a loud click.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congreats and welcome to The Excal Family...