Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New crossbow hunter >

New crossbow hunter

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New crossbow hunter

Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Spike

Talking New crossbow hunter

I am a new crossbow hunter who is getting ready to go out on my first hunt on Saturday, any tips? (lol no pun intended)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, most certainly...

Not sure of your shooting situation, because you didn't mention it, but practice lifting your crossbow and aiming it.

One early evening I made a ground blind for my dad who was using a crossbow. Within 30 minutes he had a mixture of 7 does and bucks headed up the trail he was watching. I know because I was 80 yards back watching from my climbing treestand.

Long story short, while lifting his crossbow to shoot, the arrow sticking out the front caught a branch, made a noise and the deer took off. The end. LOL!

Just make sure it doesn't happen to you!

iSnipe
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

Talking

Im sure I will get the hang of posting here and the slang lol but if by my shooting situation you mean where I will be sitting, I bought a blind to sit in with a chair, hopefully that says a little more. Any tips on how to attract?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey buddy! Got your message. Hope you found your post they moved!

LOL!

And to answer your question, it seems like an easy idea... to lay out some bait or attractant, sit back and wait, but it's not always that easy.

You really should make new posts for new or different questions you have. Most likely they work in the "Deer Hunting" forum.

I would ask 2 questions if I were you:

1.) First look in the search to see if you can find similar posts or questions about people using baits/attractants, then make a post asking about it... if your search doesn't provide the answers you are looking for.

2.) Make a post asking about using a blind. It's not as easy as just setting it up a blind and the deer will walk by for you to shoot it. LOL!

Good luck.

Oh, many people use corn as an attractant... if you're looking for some kind of bait. Before someone else mentions it, be sure you know your hunting regulations because some states it's illegal to bait deer.

There are also many lures on the market that have had success piquing a deer's interest.

Whatever you do in seeking knowledge here by making posts, I suggest you keep your questions down to 1, 2 or 3. If you have too many questions, it's intimidating and people may feel it's too much work to answer. I like to limit my questions to about 2 at a time in a post.

Take care,

iSnipe