Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Nice Va. Rack

Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Nice Va. Rack

A guy came into the local gun shop last week and had this rack of a nice 20 point:

He said it weighed in at around 180 lbs. He shot it on his sister-in-laws property in a residencial neighborhood. She owns only 1 & 1/2 acres. He had his tree stand set up in her backyard. He said he had been watching this buck for the last two years. He shot it at about 15 yds. He said the deer came in from a field and headed right towards him.

The story sounded a little weird, but a few days later another guy came into the store and confirmed the story. Said he knew the guy and it was a true story.

Anyway, it is a fine rack. Why can't I nail something like this???
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

That is a nice one!! I have been hunting here in Va. my whole life and have yet to even see a double drop tine buck. Those residential neighborhoods hold some nice bucks......
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Nice rack. I grew up in Hayes VA myself and never saw a buck like that in all of Gloucester.. What store is that, Hunters Haven or is it still called that?

KK

Last edited by Krypt Keeper; 10-19-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I must admit that when I was still working for the Gloucester County Sherrif's Office I would see one of the biggest bucks ever on my way to work. He seemed to live in the Ware area not far from the Courthouse district.

I have to admit that I have never really hunted the county till just recently. A friend has a small 10 acre plot that he farms about 1/3 of it. He has a few deer that are eating him out of house and home. I have captured them on my trail cam and have set ground blind but have seen nothing yet both this and last year. But I am a patient man and will prevail.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Biggest buck I saw in Gloucester was about 15 yrs ago on Rt 14 like your heading towards Mathews Co.. Was an old buck we named "ghost" as his face, head, and neck area were turning gray. Never got a shot at him, he was wise old deer on a small plot of land we had to hunt not far from the Ware area.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I think I may have seen this buck. I was on the 17 bypass early one mornin' and he was standing in the middle of the road. I had to stop my patrol car about 50 yds from him. The first thing that came to mind was the old Hartford commercial of that huge elk standing so majestically. He was a big buck. That was about the same time period as you mentioned.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

Could have been him. I know my brother in law got up and close to him one time. Damn near stepped on him and when he jumped they were basically starring face to face both had the HOLY SH#% look and the deer bolted. My brother in law said that he was so spooked as the deer just jumped up and was like a ghost all gray in the face. Don't know who scared who the most.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

WOW!!!
Is that a 20 inch bolt?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by xbowbarry
WOW!!!
Is that a 20 inch bolt?

Yes, I believe so.