Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Shooting in wet weather.... >

Shooting in wet weather....

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Shooting in wet weather....

Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting in wet weather....

I have not seen this issue brought up before, so I am not sure if it even is an issue. It is supposed to rain down here my way all weekend and I am curious if getting wet will affect the flight of my bolts. I have the string waxed up pretty good and all, but would imagine that getting soaked would have to have some sort of affect. I know there are some very knowledgable people on here and would appreciate any input you may have....
Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default not seen difference

In my experiences over the years I have not seen any difference in bowhunting in wet weather. If you use feathers I hear they can become soaked and you need to put something on them, Ive been told.Buckeyefootball
Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weather proofing powder is made by Bohning or you can
get it from wyverns 603 659 0575 good guy to deal with!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest bummer w/ rain, imho, is degraded tracking due to poorer blood trails.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont hunt when it rains just in case I get caught out in it keeps
em dry!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Spike

My brother and I have a farm each and we both hunt both farms. We only shoot mature bucks and does,with both bow and gun.We decided this year not to bow hunt in the rain. After years of bow hunting if we shoot a buck regardless of where we though he is hit we give the deer at least three hours before any tracking. Trying to track after three hours of rain would be next to impossible. I beleive all bow hunters should set their limits to hunting in the rain. It would show both character and ethics.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't hunt rain or falling snow for the same reason, out of respect for the game. BUT, have noticed that arrow flight(and bullets) is affected by "heavy air" i.e., high humidity. Arrow tend to hit lower, not much, but lower that when air is less dense.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

yea hunting rainy days is a recipe for disaster, nothing worse than following a so, so bloodtrail and having it start to rain, talk about panic!!!!

if it' raining steady i couldn't imagine why someone would even head out.....rifle hunting maybe, not bow..