Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
A Different shot >

A Different shot

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

A Different shot

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default A Different shot

I usually just read and don't say much but I had to tell this one.
I have been hunting with my Exocet and not seeing any thing the first 3 times out [in AR] this year so when I got caught by a herd of 6 deer starting up the the it was a bit frustrating.
The lead doe stomped and barked at me and run off aways so I immediately put an arrow in the Exocet and knelt to see if she would sneak back for a look, about 3 or 4 minutes later she poked her head out from behind the tree that was my 30 yd mark, I was on the ground about 5 yds closer than the tree stand. I shot her right under the ear and in back of the jaw where the carotid arteries and the spine are right together and she dropped right there.
Now I have some friends that say I was just lucky to get away with that but I don't think so, I can hit a 3 inch spot all day at 25 yds using my knee as a rest and this is the second deer I have gotten that way. What do you think? Lee
Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You asked for it. Your shot stinks. You have been around long enough to know better Lee. Tell me it's a joke.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Not a high percentage shot at all. You just got lucky. A lot more could have gone wrong than right.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCuHmJBXwpU

You were EXTREAMLY lucky not a shot any bowhunter should take...

Wyvern
Old 10-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dnk
You asked for it. Your shot stinks. You have been around long enough to know better Lee. Tell me it's a joke.

X2 What Wyvern posted says it all,if thats your second
time give it up.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dnk
you asked for it. Your shot stinks. You have been around long enough to know better lee. Tell me it's a joke.

exactly!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my nephew just shot a doe through both front legs (he was TRYING to hit the heart) and just so happened to cut an artery and recovered the deer. That, was a lucky shot. Yours, just STUPID!
PS. Several years ago a hunting partner shot a deer (during firearms season) with an arrow sticking out of it's head, it had been there for some time. Think about going through life that way.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Thats press that any bow hunter does not need. Buckeyefootball
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure you can hit an 3" circle at 25 yards all day long, the question is, can you hit a MOVING 3" circle all day long? One of the main differences between gun and bow hunting is arrow flight time. In the time it takes an arrow to get there, a deer can move quite a bit, In fact, I've had deer duck when I shot at 25 yards and the arrow missed their body completely- that means they moved their body at least 12 - 14" from the time they heard the shot, to the time the arrow got there.

So it's not just about how good you can shoot. There's a lot of variables when using a bow or xbow, and our job is to try and minimize those variables so we don't wound deer. That's why head or neck shots on a deer with a bow just aren't advisable- it's very likely that the head or neck will move at least a few inches while the arrow is travelling thru the air. Best case, you miss completely, worst case, you injure the deer.