Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Returned Horton, Bought Ten Point >

Returned Horton, Bought Ten Point

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Returned Horton, Bought Ten Point

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default Returned Horton, Bought Ten Point

I have been vertical bow hunting a long time and was ready to try crossbow hunting (so I could ground hunt better without lugging stands in and out of the woods).

I did some research and decided to get a Horton 175 Realtree with red dot scope. I know, it isn't get best on the market, but it was available locally and was in my budget. Brought the bow home to site it, but I couldn't for the life of me get the red dot sited at 20 yards. I tried and tried. I thought I was jerking or something. After about 20 shots I decided to forget adjusting the sight and just shoot 9-12 rounds.

What I found was that it would shoot dead on for 2-4 shots, then the scope would knock itself off 3-6 inches up or down, and 3-6 inches left or right. It would then shot very tight groups in that spot for 2-4 shots, and the same thing would happen again.

I returned the x-bow and started making some calls. I ended up on the phone with a local shop (Louisiana Outdoors in Pearl River, La), and got some excellent advice. I decided to go see the guy. The first thing he told me was that he no longer orders x-bows with red dot scopes because of how many complaints he got.

In the end, I blew my budget and bought a Ten Point Titan HLX with the 3x multi dot scope, and I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. It took 3 shots to zero the scope and the x-bow shoots wonderfully.

I only post this for others to consider before making a x-bow purchase. I am not saying there aren't good red dot packages out there.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stancel
I have been vertical bow hunting a long time and was ready to try crossbow hunting (so I could ground hunt better without lugging stands in and out of the woods).

I did some research and decided to get a Horton 175 Realtree with red dot scope. I know, it isn't get best on the market, but it was available locally and was in my budget. Brought the bow home to site it, but I couldn't for the life of me get the red dot sited at 20 yards. I tried and tried. I thought I was jerking or something. After about 20 shots I decided to forget adjusting the sight and just shoot 9-12 rounds.

What I found was that it would shoot dead on for 2-4 shots, then the scope would knock itself off 3-6 inches up or down, and 3-6 inches left or right. It would then shot very tight groups in that spot for 2-4 shots, and the same thing would happen again.

I returned the x-bow and started making some calls. I ended up on the phone with a local shop (Louisiana Outdoors in Pearl River, La), and got some excellent advice. I decided to go see the guy. The first thing he told me was that he no longer orders x-bows with red dot scopes because of how many complaints he got.

In the end, I blew my budget and bought a Ten Point Titan HLX with the 3x multi dot scope, and I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. It took 3 shots to zero the scope and the x-bow shoots wonderfully.

I only post this for others to consider before making a x-bow purchase. I am not saying there aren't good red dot packages out there.
Although I did have a red dot with a 'floating' reticule, likely yours was not the scope; probably the Dial a Range scope mount. It's not solid enough to take the recoil of a CB. Lots of Horton owners glue (and even pin) the darn contraption immobile.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Spike

Interesting point Cossack. I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

the ole dorton dial-a-range gizmo thats always moving. won't be long dorton will be down with barfnett
Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Spike

Dial a range is an old technology. With todays bows you just don't need it.

You do know that TenPoint was founded by people that left Horton. Pick up an older catalog and compare it to the Horton catalog of the same year and it is like someone just photocopied designs. I really think that is dishonorable.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default interseting

Originally Posted by StoredEnergy
Dial a range is an old technology. With todays bows you just don't need it.

You do know that TenPoint was founded by people that left Horton. Pick up an older catalog and compare it to the Horton catalog of the same year and it is like someone just photocopied designs. I really think that is dishonorable.
Tenpoints a great bow and thats the first thing like that Ive heard. Buckeyefootball
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Spike

I've been in the industry long enough (maybe too long) to ignore the propaganda. Most people don't know that TP was originally named Hunter but had to change it due to a copyright issue. Gee, I wonder whom has had a bow line named Hunter? I know it is old dirt but it still doesn't make it right.

I am sure that you will be happy with your bow. The product is first rate
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like problem with the scope, not the bow.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Spike

You can say what you want, i have used horton xbows for many years and have never had one fail me hunting! Xbows are like any other weapon you must do your maintnance, keep string waxed, lube the rail etc check all lil screws bolts etc while practicing and that squeaky sturrip wont squeak when the moment of truth arrives!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default agreed

Originally Posted by jd24_1
You can say what you want, i have used horton xbows for many years and have never had one fail me hunting! Xbows are like any other weapon you must do your maintnance, keep string waxed, lube the rail etc check all lil screws bolts etc while practicing and that squeaky sturrip wont squeak when the moment of truth arrives!
There are many good brands of crossbows but when a buyer gets a bad one they normally want something different. Seems like its that way for Fords and Chevys etc also. Buckeyefootball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.