Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
How to let it off >

How to let it off

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to let it off

Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default How to let it off

Like many I see here my dad bought a crossbow this year, most of its self explanatory and the guy at the shop where we bought it fielded a few questions we had but little bit ago I got to thinking. When I'm bow hunting and see no deer and get ready to leave I just pull the arrow, put it in the quiver and go.

Well a crossbow is a little different, used a * * * *ing aid to ready it once in the blind, so it is ready to shoot regardless of a deer appearing or not.

So the question is, how are you guys letting em down when its over and you took no shot?
Thinking of him sitting there in the dark, had pulled the bolt with the broad head on it (at least hoping he did) and is now sitting there pondering what to do now? LOL
I got it all set up for him and will take it to him tomorrow, let him shoot it at a straw bail a few times and hes good to go, just want to give him this one last piece of information, information I realized I don't have pertaining to this new fanged thing!

I supposed there could be more then one way so what methods are ya guys using?

Oh and yea he bought a "Barnett", couldn't sway him to spend more on a better model so he has the * * * *ing rope with the two little pulley's on it.
I don't know, I really can't see his rather large clumsy frame (short/round but yet strong as an ox), using that same device to de-**** it?

Heaven forbid it may be dark at the time.........
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Spike

Guess can't say that, the word for preparing the crossbow to fire (not as in part of a mans anatomy) the forum is a tad touchy.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Spike

Hey Danr have him take an old arrow with out a broadhead and shoot into the ground. Have him do it before he leaves the woods at his blind so not to take a chance of a dry fire on the way out. And make sure when he shoots he keeps his fingers or thumbs out of the way of the string, could result in the loss of a thumb.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Spike

Hi clap, thanks for the response and yea, that was my first thought but was hoping for a better way.
But hey if that is how its done, that's what he'll have to do.

And yea went over the part about keeping his fingers down but will again just to drive the point home. It does have a rather large stock, kinda fat and tall at that point so that will help too.

I'll say one thing for it, it throws a arrow nice. I really didn't think it fly em as nice as it does. Especially with the guy at the sporting goods store suggesting/pushing the folding type broadheads for it.
Toward the end of my working with it I was shooting it 40 yards and it was flying em nice and with tight groups. He won't shoot that far but I wanted to make sure it was "on".
Surely could have shot farther but I got tired of using the rope on it so left it at that, not hard to do, just kinda time consuming for each shot.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Spike

Forgot to mention put a field tip in the old arrow don't want to shoot the bow with a light arrow in it.Went ouyt today for the first time with my crossbow and saw 6 deer but not of the presented me with a shot, Look out next week will set up diufferent.
Clap