Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Horton scope mounts >

Horton scope mounts

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton scope mounts

Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default Horton scope mounts

Hey Guys,
I have a Horton crossbow and had a 3 dot scope on it. I decided to change to a multi reticle scope. I bought some Weaver mounts to use but the mounts won't tighten up on the base (my crossbow has dial a range). The scope was just too loose on the base. My question is:

Do I need to use the Horton mounts or is there any other mounts that will work?

Thanks,
WOD28
Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

What size mounts did you get If i remember that weaver is a 7/8 mount or you might have the clamp upside down. there are also notches that the mount has to seat in. hope this helps
Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Spike

Hey,

I bought a pair of 1" medium weaver mounts from Walmart. I just bought the rings as the base was already there. I did make sure they fit in the grooves on the base but you could still move the rings back and forth on the base.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

not sure what they mean by medium. the one I got was from horton. 1 inch rings for 7/8 weaver mount.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Spike

I think that means height. I will take these back and go to the local gun store tomorrow and see if they have the 1" for 7/8" base. They should. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Spike

7/8" Weaver is the width of the dovetail.

1" is the diameter of the barrel (narrowest tube of) scope.

dovetails for .22 (caliber) guns are 3/8" wide.

Horton bows have always used 7/8" Weaver dovetails and their all their scopes take 1" diameter rings. This follows the standards for most all scopes and rings used in the gun industry.

High Med and Low are the distance from the dovetail to the centerline of the scope. This allows you to move the scope up or down slightly to get a better sight picture when mounting the gun.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

Weaver rails typically run .839 wide. There seems to be quite a bit of varation from one manufactor to another. If you are under .810 your rings may not work. I hope this helps.