Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Fletching trouble >

Fletching trouble

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Fletching trouble

Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default Fletching trouble

I have been fletching arrows for years but am having trouble making them stick. I have some Easton Carbon Power bolts and I am pulling my hair out. I have talked to Wyvern about it and he gave some pointers but nothing helps. I have done everything under the sun prep wise and I just can't get the vanes to stick to these shafts.Wyvern suggested that I was using to much glue so I did what he said, still no stick. I have tried different glues.Could the something wrong with these shafts that the vanes won't stick.Even tried instant glue made by Easton. I don't know what to do now.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

you didn't say what yer using to clean the carbon shafts with ? i use comet cleanser or ajax & scotchbrite pad. then rinse down with hot water that you will durn near scald you
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Spike

I cleaned the shaft with hot soapy water and air dried, acetone and rubbing alcohol 91% . ruffed up surface with scotchbrite pad. I have used fletchtite glue and Easton instant set glue. I have been fletching arrows for my son and one of his friends the past couple weeks and did not have any problem with there arrows. Could it be something with the arrow material itself that easton used. Did I get a bad batch or what. Should I try to get in touch with Easton and run some questions by them? I have looked and can't find a phone # for them.
Dave C
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some vanes need to be cleaned with acetone preapplicatio. Blazers don't.
Try Gorilla crazy glue (sparingly). Blazers so applied (on Gold Tip arrows) hold so well tha I can push them BACK out of the target if the hit a soft spot and penetrate to far.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

what vanes are you using?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM
what vanes are you using?
He shoots Blazers, so do I, for the most part. You might try paint cresting, I got a link somewhere I'll hunt up if interested.

I use Goat Tuff w/ them, no problems, paint comes off easy w/ acetone, laquer only.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I know NAP had some problems with the quikspins not adhering well and if you go to their faq's they recommend using a fine sandpaper to scuff the base of the vanes before gluing them on. Not sure about blazers but it might be worth a try??
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Which glue? I tried Bohning glue, vanes came off on first shot.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

I was using Fletchtite platinum and Easton instant glue. Bought a Blazer fletcher and no problem now . I think my Greyling jigs and my AZ are shot..