Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Question on new bolts >

Question on new bolts

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question on new bolts

Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default Question on new bolts

I shoot a Parker Terminator and was thinking of getting some new bolts. I presently shoot carbon express 20" bolts with the Rage 3 blade broadhead. I was considering a weight forward bolt with the shorter Blazer vanes. I was also thinking about getting firenoks to better see the bolt as it hits the target. I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

sumpin wrong with the carbon express ? there are GT II's & vapor's & victory all carbon plus fire & power bolts rest i knowed about be alum
Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just so happens I shoot your brand of bow.... which replaced your same kind of bow....and lighted nocks.
I highly recommend Gold Tip Lazer II's with 110 g brass insert, 2" Blazers and a 100 g Slick Trick Mag. This will get you an arrow weighing 400-405 g with a FOC of 18.5%: which goes to over 20% if you use a 125 g head. Great accurcy (I don't have to practice with broadheads when using slicks0 as well as terminal performance...what it's really all about. I use Firenocks too, spendy but perform better than the other two I tried; and you can change the balttry when necessary.
PS I notice the the lights for my Lumis and Firenocks lost a little brightness overwinter.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Spike

Hello guyz!

I have a question. I am googling and I can't find a total weight of EASTON CARBON POWER BOLT 20". I would be very glad for help!

milan.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get their grains per inch weight, multiply by length, then add the weight of the various components (nock, insert, vanes) to that.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cossack
Get their grains per inch weight, multiply by length, then add the weight of the various components (nock, insert, vanes) to that.
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/54

shaft: 210 grains
nock: 11 grains
insert: 43 grains
Vanes: (are 5" original?) 40.1 grains
f.point: 100 grains
-----------------
Total: 404 grains

Or, can this arrow be used on Exocet 200, with flemish fast flight string...and "absorber V-bar" ?...Thanks!

milan.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should work just fine, as far as weight is concerned. I prefer a heavier insert (110 gr) for higher FOC and 2" Blazers for vanes to keep weight off back and prevent crosswind deflection, but that's just me.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Spike

Hey!

I just purchased 7 bolts. They are Excalibur Firebolt (Easton).
I am looking online for their weight and..."Weight w/100 grain tip - 357 grains". Is this enough? Yes it's "Excalibur" bolt, and they require 350grains Min., can I shot this bolts without any trouble...?

Thanks!

milan.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and no. Yes it's okay, above min weight. No being they will likely be a problem hunting if you use fixed blade bheads due to their low FOC. Back when Excal used GT's much the same as your Firebolts, they advertised a 3" group at 25 yds and got it.

I have so many GT's, they are all I shoot, but the Excal forum guys are having great luck w/ Firebolts and the 150 gr 'Boltcutter' bheads.
I think some of the packages come w/ them and 150 gr points now.

I found min weight arrows and FFF's to be a nasty combo w/ my Emax, lots of noise and vibratation. Don't know how much of that your 'V' bar will take out for you.

You can get around the bhead/FOC thing by shooting 100 gr mechanicals.