Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Michigan Arrow Speed Limit Clarification >

Michigan Arrow Speed Limit Clarification

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Michigan Arrow Speed Limit Clarification

Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Banned

Default Michigan Arrow Speed Limit Clarification

From another forum:

Quote:
OK here's the update as told to me and quoted from the MDNR Facebook which can certainly be regarded as public info. The DNR representative responding is Debbie Munson Badini. When I asked if this was the official MDNR position she responded:
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Ted -- yes, this is the official DNR response. If you have further technical questions, I'd be happy to put you in touch with someone from our crossbow committee. So here's it is:

Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Ted -- the entire combination (crossbow plus bolt) needs to be in compliance with the 350 fps capacity rule. Very few crossbow packages are available that exceed the 350 fps bolt velocity regulation. If you are making modifications to your crossbow or accessory equipment combos, the DNR recommends that you consult with your equipment supplier to ensure that you stay in compliance with the 350 fps regulation. Law enforcement will evaluate potential violations on a case by case basis. Thanks again for the great question. Unquote

I believe this is pretty clear from this statement that the crossbow will not be deemed illegal UNLESS it exceeds 350fps with the bolt you are using to hunt with.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

What is their stance with shooting arrows...since modern crossbows shoot arrows, not bolts?
Bolts are really hard to get short, mostly metal things made in the medeival era.

Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Spike

I have found that crossbow haters like to use the word Bolt because they don't want to acknowledge that crossbows shoot Arrows and are therefore Archery Equipment.